Military History/Metz/Fort Jeanne d'Arc

My uncle,Staff Sgt. Martin T. Rasmussen, was killed in France on 11/14/44.  He was with the 379th Infantry Regiment, 95th Infantry Division.  My research indicates that he was in the vicinity of Fort Jeanne d'Arc.  Any information you could give me on the actions on and leading up to the 14th would be very much appreciated.

Also, if you have any information of what medals he would have been awarded, what position he might have had within the regiment, what the living conditions would have been, etc., I would be very happy to receive such.

His death was so tramatic to my father that I didn't even know I had another uncle until by pre-teen years.  Therefore, no stories, no information.

Any help would be very much appreciated.

Dear Rick,
        Your uncle was killed in action while attacking one of the forts that defended Metz-the Seven Dwarfs Fortification. The division was assigned the objective of reducing the German pocket west of the Moselle River near Maizieres-les-Metz. The 379th Infantry Regiment was organized on 15 July 1942 at Camp Swift, Texas and was subsequently assigned to the 95th Infantry Division. It then moved to Fort Sam Houston, Texas on 2 December 1942 and then to La Mnvr area on 24 June 1943. It was then transferred to Camp Polk, Louisiana on 27 August 1943 and then to Camp Young, California on 22 October 1943. It then re-located to Indiantown Gap Military Reservation, Pennsylvania on 18 February 1944 and then staged to Camp Myles Standish, Massachusetts on 23 July 1944 until it departed from the Port of Embarkation of Boston, Massachusetts on 10 August 1944. It subsequently arrived in England on 17 August 1944 and then landed in France on 15 September 1944. It crossed into Belgium on 31 January 1945 and then entered Germany on 2 March 1945 (it was attached to the 2nd Armored Division from 1-4 March 1945). It returned to the Port of Embarkation of Boston, Massachusetts on 1 July 1945 and then moved to Camp Shelby, Mississippi on 4 July`1945 where it was inactivated on 12 October 1945. It participated in the following campaigns: Northern France, Rhineland, Ardennes-Alsace, and Central Europe. You can get more detailed information from the National Archives web site: May God Bless-Colonel Robert A. Lynn, Florida Guard  

Military History

LTC Robert A. Lynn, Florida Guard

I can answer both specific and general military history questions from ancient times to the present. I also provide references and footnotes where I obtained the answers from.