Military History/star shell flares -colorof light

I am the gaffer on a film which includes a battle scene from world war two. we would like to have the effect of a flare illuminating the battle field. My research leads me to believe this would be a magnesium star shell flare. If so, what color would the light emanating from such a source be? Thank you,

An honor to help. First what is firing the flare? Normally a Flare gun or Very pistol is used to fire a flare, but flares can be dropped from aircraft.  A flare gun uses different color flares, Red, Green and white.  If an aircraft is dropping a flare during World War 2 for photo recon works it would be white.  Most likely if an artillery piece fired a star shell it would be a white flare.  On a battlefield if you were looking for illumination it would be a white Flare.
I hope this helps and check out the links.
Thank you  

Military History

Paul Sutton

I can answer questions on World War Two weapons, tactics, and strategy. I can answer questions on Weapons systems and their development. I can answer guestions on Space exploration history. I am a World War 2 expert. I study Military Weapons Systems and the usage of those systems.

I work for Saint Petersburg College as a TRS or Technology resources specialist. I read 10 to 15 books a year on World War 2 and weapon systems. I also have a BA in History from USF.

I have a BA in history from USF.