Military History/unit history of 285th Medical Detachment, US Army

Question
I am just beginning to research and document my father's service in WWII after discovering his journal from 1944-1945.  He states he was on the USS Mariposa and landed in Liverpool Sept. 29, 1944, but I cannot find that listed anywhere.  Which Mariposa was he referring to?  Also, where can I find information on the 285th Medical Detachment - which was primarily Dental, based on his journal.

Thank you for any hints and information you can point me to.

Answer
Dear Ms.,
       Thank you for your question.  In it you typed "He states he was on.......find that listed anywhere."

Departure Date:   September 22, 1944
Departure Location:   Boston, Massachusetts Port of Embarkation
Troop Ship:   SS Mariposa
Arrival Date:   September 30, 1944
Arrival Location:   Liverpool, England
    4,160 Troops onboard

In your question you typed "Which Mariposa was he referring to?"  The SS Mariposa built in 1931 by Bethlehem Shipbuilding Corporation of Quincy, Massachusetts & operated during WW 2 by Matson Navigation Company.
       In your question you typed "where can I find information on the 285th Medical Detachment".  I'm sure the internet has more information than any one person could desire.  However, if you are seeking FACTS, I suggest you contact:

U.S. Army Heritage & Education Center
950 Soldiers Drive
 Carlisle     PA     17013

which is where the unit records of the 285th Medical Detachment are located.
       The 285th Medical Detachment participated in two Campaigns while serving in the E.T.O., 1944-45:

Rhineland        September 15, 1944-March 21, 1945
Central Europe   March 22-May 8, 1945

The 285th Medical Detachment served with the Army of Occupation in Germany, May 30-October 31, 1945.   
       One other source for FACTS about your "father's service in WWII" would be his Discharge Documents, which are invaluable toward ACCURATE historic research.  Your father was provided with 6-10 copies of his Discharge Documents when he was discharged from the U.S. Army.  Where are any one of those 6-10 copies?  
       Good Luck with your quest.

Respectfully,
   Richard V. Horrell
    WW 2 Connections  

Military History

Richard V. Horrell