Military History/202nd Ordnance Depot Company

Question
QUESTION: Can you direct me to more information about the 202nd in Europe 1944 - 45.  My father was a member of the company during all campaigns in the ETO. Thanks so much.

ANSWER: Dear Sir,
       Thank you for your question.  May I suggest that you refer to my May 8, 2012 response as per the 202nd Ordnance Depot Company.  Within that response are all the FACTS I have as per the 202nd Ordnance Depot Company.
       Would you be so kind as to provide me with ALL THE DATES typed in Box #36 on page two of your father's Discharge Documents?
       Good Luck with your quest.

Respectfully,
   Richard V. Horrell
    WW 2 Connections

QUESTION: I am looking into the information you have asked and hope to have it soon.
My Dad's diary said that the 202nd:
Arrived Liverpool 27 July 1943
Liverpool to Taunton stationed there for 9 months
Taunton to Halatrow near Bristol for invasion prep
Halatrow to Weymouth June 8
Embarked for Normandy June10
Landed on Omaha Beach on D-Day +5 (June 11)

Do you have any info of their activities and locations the remainder of June and July 1944?

Thanks again.

Steve Price

ANSWER: Dear Sir,
       Thank you for your follow-up.  I am sorry to read that you do not have access to the FACTS typed in your father's Discharge Documents.  Primary Source Documents are always an excellent source for FACTS when attempting to begin ACCURATE historic research.  Your father was provided with 6-10 copies of his Discharge Documents when he was discharged from the U.S. Army.  Hopefully you will be able to find one of the 6-10 copies he was provided.
       Good Luck with your quest.

Richard V. Horrell
   WW 2 Connections

QUESTION: My family does not have his discharge papers. We do know he was a sergeant (Tech 5), serial # 17073023, born May 16 1920 and his name was LeRoy Stinson Price.

Answer
Dear Sir,
       Thank you for your follow-up.  In it you typed "We do know he was a sergeant (Tech 5)".  Paid $66.00 per month, a T-5 (Technician 5th Grade) wore a chevron of two stripes (Corporal) with a "T" beneath the two stripes.
       In your follow-up you typed "serial # 17073023".  When a Serial Number began with the numeral 1, it meant the Veteran was a member of the Regular Army, NOT the A.U.S. (Army of the United States) the portion of the U.S. Army raised for combat during WW 2 plus six months.
       In your follow-up you typed "My family does not have his discharge papers."  Veterans would place a copy of their Discharge Documents with their personal papers for when they would pass away.  The Discharge Documents would then be provided to the Funeral Home handling the arrangements.  Check your father's personal papers or with the Funeral Home that handled your father's arrangements.
       Veterans were encouraged to register a copy of their Discharge Documents with the Court House of the County that they would reside in after WW 2.  Check with the Court House of the County that your father resided in after WW 2.  Discharge Documents are in the Public Domain, so anyone may obtain a copy of your father's Discharge Documents at the Court House of the County your father resided in after WW 2.
       Did your father ever receive service from the V.A. (Veterans Administration)?  If so, he had to provide the V.A. with a copy of his Discharge Documents.  Check with the V.A. to see if the V.A. has a copy of your father's Discharge Documents on file.
       Did your father ever join the American Legion and/or the Veterans of Foreign Wars?  If so, he provided either organization a copy of his Discharge Documents.  Check with the American Legion and/or the Veterans of Foreign Wars to see if either of them have a copy of your father's Discharge Documents on file.
       Discharge Documents are invaluable toward ACCURATE historical research.  Your father signed the document indicating accuracy!  What further accuracy could one desire?

Richard V. Horrell
   WW 2 Connections  

Military History

Richard V. Horrell