Military History/SS Westminster Victory Troop Ship

duke wrote at 2016-09-03 18:05:41
re ur question as to what happened to the westminister victory after it arrived in n.y. in 1946.i shipped from ny in aug. 1946 on the westminster.we sailed from ny through the panama canal,stopped in long beach ca. for fresh supplies,stopped in hawaii overnight,hit a typhoon off guam and arrived in manila 46days later on a ship that was never meant to be a troop transport.the best part of the trip was we had a boxing tournament about 4days out of manila and i won the heavyweight boxing champ.that and $.25 will buy you a coke.

Richard V. Horrell wrote at 2016-09-04 18:59:24
Dear Mr. "duke",

Thank you for your contribution.  The voyage in question departed the New York Port of Embarkation August 11, 1946.  Transiting the Panama Canal on August 17, 1946, the SS Westminster Victory arrived at Long Beach, California.  Do you happen to know the date the SS Westminster Victory arrived at Long Beach, California?

Departing Long Beach, California on August 26, 1946, the SS Westminster Victory arrived at Pearl Harbor September 5, 1946.  Departing the following day, the SS Westminster Victory arrived at Manila, Luzon, Philippine Islands.  Do you happen to know the date the SS Westminster Victory arrived at Manila, Luzon, Philippine Islands?  Maybe there is a date indicated upon your Discharge Documents from the US Military?

Richard V. Horrell

WW 2 Connections

james w. murray wrote at 2016-10-15 21:21:58
re westminister are correct we did leave new york on aug.11,1946 loading from camp kilmer n.j.  we arrived in manila sep.19,1946 per my discharge papers,thanks for the suggestion to look there.i can only add i have had more comfortable cruises since then but none to manila,once was enough.

duke wrote at 2016-10-15 21:30:16
re my recent answer as to westminister vic. sorry for long delay,suggest you e mail direct as i seldom refer back to this portion of my was only by accident i happened to see this today.i appoligize for the long delay again.

Military History

Richard V. Horrell

Can answer: World War Two. Specifically, the troop transport ships that took US Military Personnel overseas & returned them to the US, 1941-47. Also, unit history of US Army QM, Signal, MP, Ordnance, Medical, Transportation & Engineer units that served during WW 2. The more obscure units are my specialty. If you have the APO that a Veteran sent letters from or received letters at, I can look up the history of that APO.

A lifelong study of WW 2, including participation as a WW 2 Re-enactor, 1980-2002. Also, interviewing over 400 WW 2 Veterans about their role in WW 2.

AASLH, Middle Tennessee Genealogical Society

Over 800 Profiles that I have written for client's about their loved one's role in WW 2.

BA, History & Political Science (19th & 20th Century European History) Webster University, Webster Groves, MO.

Assisting the National Archives on numerous occasions during the 50th Anniversary Commemoration of WW 2, 1991-95.

Respectfully, I do not disclose the names of the clients I deal with. I have a confidentially agreement with them.