Military History/My father's military service

QUESTION: Hello Sir,

My deceased father's name is Jack Thomas.  Under "organization" it states: 993d Quartermaster Service Company.  Grade: Tec 5. Component: AUS.  Battles and Campaigns: New Guinea GO 33 WD 45.  Decorations and Citations: Asiatic Pacific Campaign Medal and Lapel button issued.  Destination: Pacific Theatre United States.  Any info you can provide regarding these codes and descriptions would be great!  Thank you.

ANSWER: Dear Sir,
       Thank you for your question.  In it you typed "993d Quartermaster Service Company."  If typed in Box #6, that was the unit your father was assigned to for his return to the USA after VJ-Day.  It MAY HAVE BEEN the unit your father was assigned to prior to VJ-Day, or not.  The only way for me to know that is for me to have access to photocopies of all four pages of your father's Discharge Documents.  The 993rd QM Service Company participated in the NEW GUINEA Campaign (same as your father ) January 24, 1943-December 31, 1944.  The 993rd (I DO NOT know about your father.  Again, no photocopies of Discharge Documents to refer to) made an amphibious assault at Hollandia, New Guinea, April 22, 1944.  In 1946, War Department General Order #109 gave credit to the 993rd for the amphibious assault.
       In your question you typed "Grade: Tec 5."  Technician, 5th Grade was paid $66.00 per month.
       In your question you typed "Component: AUS."  Army of the United States was the military entity the US Government organized for the duration of the war, plus six months.  It is NOT the R.A. (Regular Army, always there, war or peace) nor the N.G. (National Guard).  
       In your question you typed "Battles and Campaigns: New Guinea GO 33 WD 45."  Your father participated in the NEW GUINEA Campaign, General Order #33, War Department 1945.  The Department of Defense did not exist until the National Defense Act of September 1947.
       In your question you typed "Decorations and.......button issued."  Your father was awarded a Campaign Medal & Ribbon for participation in the P.T.O. (Pacific Theater of Operation).  On the ribbons there should be one Bronze Campaign Star indicating participation in the NEW GUINEA Campaign.  The brass "Lapel button issued" was to indicate your father was honorably discharged from the U.S. Military.  It was to be worn in the button hole on the left lapel of your father's suit coat or sport coat, especially when applying for a job.
       In your question you typed "Destination: Pacific Theatre United States."  For me to reply, I would need EVERY FACT TYPED IN BOX #36.
       Respectfully, it is difficult to provide "info" when ALL THE FACTS typed in all 57 boxes are not provided.  I did the best I could with what I had to work with.
       Good Luck with your quest.

Richard V. Horrell
   WW 2 Connections

Report of Separation
Report of Separation  
QUESTION: Thank you Sir,

To assist further, I have attached a copy of my father's report of separation/discharge.  Please provide/decipher as much info as you can regarding his service in WWII.  Thank you again.

Dear Sir,
       Thank you for your follow-up.  Please note Box #36.  The first set of dates, horizontally, is your father's voyage overseas.

Departure Date:   February 18, 1944
Departure Location:   San Francisco Port of Embarkation
Troop Ship:   SS Tabinta (Dutch)
Arrival Date:   March 11, 1944
Arrival Location:   Milne Bay, New Guinea

Your father boarded the SS Tabinta February 17, 1944, the SS Tabinta departed February 18, 1944.  After departing Milne Bay, New Guinea, March _?_?_?_, 1944, the SS Tabinta arrived at Buna, New Guinea March 20, 1944.
       Since the 993rd QM Service Company spent its entire time overseas prior to September 2, 1945 on the island of New Guinea, the "23 Apr 45" is an easy date to work with.  

Departure Date:   April 6, 1945
Departure Location:   Hollandia, New Guinea
Troop Ship:   SS Extavia
Arrival Date:   April 23, 1945
Arrival Location:   San Francisco Port of Embarkation

The SS Extavia was the only troop ship departing New Guinea & arriving at a West Coast Port of Embarkation on April 23, 1945.
       Returning to the U.S.A. after only approximately one year in the P.T.O. indicates something was amiss.  Box #6 & Box #40 confirms that.  Located in Santa Barbara, California, Hoff General Hospital was constructed by the U.S. Army in 1941.  The 1,141 bed facility specialized in general surgery, orthopedic surgery & care for those with issues hearing.  As a U.S. Army Hospital, Hoff General closed in November 1945.  Your father arrived at Hoff General Hospital within hours of returning to the U.S.A., was determined to be physically unfit for further military duty on June 12, 1945 & Honorably Discharged from the U.S. Army on June 14, 1945.
       Please keep the following in mind, if you choose to continue research about your father's service during WW 2.  The U.S. Military was segregated during WW 2, a sickening concept when the U.S. was supposedly fighting for "The Four Freedoms".  We fought for them, just not for our own citizens at home or overseas.  FACTS are scarce about African-Americans Units, so I suggest you start by trying to obtain the unit records, located at:

U.S. Army Heritage & Education Center
950 Soldiers Road
 Carlisle   PA   17013

You may also wish to contact:

The National Museum of the Pacific War
(Admiral Nimitz Museum)
 340 East Main Street
  Fredericksburg   TX   78624

to learn what FACTS that facility may have on the 993rd.
       Good Luck with your quest.

Richard V. Horrell
   WW 2 Connections

Military History

Richard V. Horrell

Can answer: World War Two. Specifically, the troop transport ships that took US Military Personnel overseas & returned them to the US, 1941-47. Also, unit history of US Army QM, Signal, MP, Ordnance, Medical, Transportation & Engineer units that served during WW 2. The more obscure units are my specialty. If you have the APO that a Veteran sent letters from or received letters at, I can look up the history of that APO.

A lifelong study of WW 2, including participation as a WW 2 Re-enactor, 1980-2002. Also, interviewing over 400 WW 2 Veterans about their role in WW 2.

AASLH, Middle Tennessee Genealogical Society

Over 800 Profiles that I have written for client's about their loved one's role in WW 2.

BA, History & Political Science (19th & 20th Century European History) Webster University, Webster Groves, MO.

Assisting the National Archives on numerous occasions during the 50th Anniversary Commemoration of WW 2, 1991-95.

Respectfully, I do not disclose the names of the clients I deal with. I have a confidentially agreement with them.