Military History/Grandfather Served w/ C Battery 959th FA Battalion USFET

Question
Sir,

I need help finding out what occurred to my deceased grand father who served w/  Battery C 959th FA Battalion USFET during WWII.  My mother wrote me some information from his discharge paperwork. His paperwork stated "Time Lost under AW107." We know he served in Normandy, Northern France on his Battles/Campaigns. However, we believe he must have fell in love w/ a French local.  Also, we believe he may have had a child during his 409 days.
I am curious is there a way to find out if there is an AWOL list from this unit? I believe he was confined at Camp Kilmer. My mom and I know of this situation. I do have his Army serial number and other data.  I told my mom I am willing to go to Northern France to find her possible half-sibling, but I need to find out if paperwork will state where he may have stayed in France.  Please advise.
Thank you.
Respectfully,
Mf

Answer
Dear Sir,
       Thank you for your question.  In it you typed "959th FA Battalion".  Would you be so kind as to reply to me the documentation your "deceased grand father" was assigned to the 959th Field Artillery Battalion, Tennessee National Guard prior to May 8, 1945?
       In your question you typed "Time Lost under AW107."  IF time was "Lost" it was the time between Box #22/23 & Box #24 on page two of your grandfather's Discharge Documents.  Nothing to do with being A.W.O.L., what-so-ever.
       In your question you typed "he served in Normandy, Northern France".  The 959th Field Artillery Battalion, Tennessee National Guard participated in the following Campaigns:

Normandy          June 6-July 24, 1944
Northern France    July 25-September 14, 1944
Rhineland          September 15, 1944-March 21, 1945
Central Europe     March 22-May 8, 1945

Since the Campaigns you listed & the ones I listed are different, what could that mean?
       In your question you typed "during his 409 days."  Respectfully, during your grandfather's 409 days of what?
       In your question you typed "I am curious is there a way to find out if there is an AWOL list from this unit?"  Sure, that is easy.  Obtain the unit records, which are located at:  

U.S. Army Heritage & Education Center
950 Soldiers Road
 Carlisle   PA   17013

In your question you typed "I believe he was confined at Camp Kilmer."  May I ask for your fact-based documentation?  It would be atypical to confine someone at a staging area for a Port of Embarkation.  The U.S. Military wished to move people through a Port of Embarkation, not confine them.  
       In your question you typed "and other data."  Would you please be a bit more specific?  Primary Source Documents would be appreciated, sine the documents contain FACTS.
       In your question you typed "I need to find out if paperwork will state where he may have stayed in Europe."  Your grandfather, no.  The unit, yes.  Since you typed your grandfather was assigned to the 959th Field Artillery Battalion, Tennessee National Guard, IF you have the unit records of the unit your grandfather was assigned to prior to May 8, 1945, you have the records you need.

Departure Date:   April 18, 1944
Departure Location:   New York Port of Embarkation
Troop Ship:   R.M.S. Nieuw Amsterdam
Unit Onboard:   959th Field Artillery Battalion, Tennessee National Guard
Arrival Date:   April 26, 1944
Arrival Location:   Gourock, Scotland

Good Luck with your quest.

Respectfully,
   Richard V. Horrell
    WW 2 Connections

Military History

Richard V. Horrell