Military History/Rank Promotions

Question
QUESTION: During WWII when enlisted men received a promotion in rank from PFC to SGT would that information be included in a general order, morning report or some other document?

ANSWER: There is one pay grade between PFC (E-3) and SGT (E-5), which was Corporal (E-4) during World War II.

Typically, a promotion is a separate order. The morning report would contain the person's rank, so it could be used to verify a promotion (by checking different morning reports and seeing when the higher rank was noted).

QUESTION: Is the separate order issued by the Headquarters of his unit and would it be included in their records? I'm looking for information on a veteran who was a cook (MOS 060) assigned to the 30th Evacuation Hospital attached to Eighth Army in the Pacific Theater of Operations. Where would I find the "separate orders"? Would they be at NPRC or NARA? I know that none of his OMPF survived the 1973 fire.

Answer
Yes, the order would be issued by his unit headquarters. I was going to suggest you try to get his 201 file from the National Archives Military Personnel Record Center in St. Louis. All promotion orders would be in there.

I guess you're saying you checked and his 201 file was lost in the infamous fire. If you didn't, it would be worth going on the website to try to find out: www.archives.gov/st-louis/military-personnel

The orders from his unit should be in the National Archives in College Park, Maryland. You can get started on that by going www.archives.gov/dc-metro/college-park/researcher-info.html

Military History

Marc Leepson