Military History/WW1

Hello, My great uncle was a vet of WW1 and I would like to know what his experience was as far as where he was and what battles he took part in.  I have many of his black and white pictures of the bombed towns etc and wish I could identify where they are.  He was a private in company B, 357 infantry 90 division.  I know that he was gassed and suffered greatly following the war.  Anything you can tell me or anywhere you can lead me to, I would appreciate immensely!  Thank-you in advance for your time.  Christine

I found a regimental history of the 357th at

There's also good info at the Army Center of Military History's site:

I would suggest that you also try to get his 201 File (his military personnel record, which would have a lot of the info you're looking for) from the National Archives Military Personnel Records Center in St. Louis. You can do it on line, providing you are next of kin, at this site:

Best of luck.  

Military History

Marc Leepson

I can answer most questions dealing with all aspects of U.S. military history. My expertise is the Vietnam War. I also have written extensively about the U.S. Civil War, World War II, World War I, The Philippine War, and the American Revolution. My books include a concise biography of the Marquis de Lafayette, the history of the American Flag, and the post-Jefferson history of Monticello, and therefore know a great deal about those specific subjects. I specialize in writing about matters of strategy--not tactics. And I also am interested in personalities. I have very little knowledge about ordnance or the value of old military memorabilia. Nor do I know a lot about uniforms and insignia--except about the Vietnam War. To repeat: I have no expertise in assessing the value of ordnance or uniforms or any type of military equipment. And my knowledge about military uniforms is only limited to those of the Vietnam War era. If you have questions on these topics, I recommend contacting an antiques dealer in your area who specializes in military uniforms, ordnance, etc.

Author and journalist with more than 35 years' experience.

Authors Guild BIO International

New York Times, Washington Post, Wall Street Journal, USA Today, Baltimore Sun, Chicago Tribute, New York Newsday, the Arizona Republic, St. Petersburg Times, Detroit News. Magazines: Smithsonian, Preservation, The VVA Veteran, Vietnam, Civil War Times, America's Civil War, Military History, World War II. Editor: The Webster's New World Dictionary of the Vietnam War

BA, 1967, George Washington University, History MA, 1971, George Washington University, European History

Vietnam Veterans of America Excellence in the Arts Award, 2011

Vietnam Veterans of America