Military History/Citations for the SS Elihu Thompson

Question
Dear Mr. Horrell,

I read in a previous post about the USMS Elihu Thompson that the crew received citations for their actions when the ship was struck by mines on 26 September, 1944.  Do you know what type of citation(s) the crew of the USMS Elihu Thompson received?  My father held the rank of ensign and was the Purser and Pharmacist Mate aboard the Elihu Thompson when it was heavily damaged during this incident.  My father's reconstructed DD214 provides no information about a citation.  It indicates that he received the Merchant Marine Emblem, an Honorable Discharge Button, a Presidential Testimonial Letter, and the Victory Medal.  Besides what is listed on his DD214, I have his original Merchant Marine Pacific War Zone Ribbon and Combat Bar with Star.  Thanks so much for whatever assistance you can provide me.

Answer
Dear Sir,
       Thank you for your question.  In it you typed "I read in a previous post about the USMS Elihu Thompson that the crew received citations for their actions when the ship was struck by mines on 26 September, 1944."  In the "previous post" dates February 1, 2012, I could find no mention of "mines".  
       In your question you typed "Do you know what typed of citation(s) the crew of the USMS Elihu Thompson received?"  No, I do not.  May I suggest that you obtain your father's Personnel File.  It is located at:

National Personnel Records Center
1 Archives Drive
 St. Louis   MO   63138

The infamous July 1973 fire did NOT impact Personnel Files for members of the US Navy, so you have a plethora of FACTS waiting for your historic research for FACTS.
       If you wish to continue to research for FACTS about the SS Elihu Thompson, I suggest you contact:

Dept. of the Navy
Naval Historical Center
 805 Kidder Breese S.E.
  Washington Navy Yard
   Washington, D.C.
      20374-5060

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

The National Museum of the Pacific War
(Admiral Nimitz Museum)
 340 East Main Street
  Fredericksburg   TX   78624

Good Luck with your quest.

Respectfully,
   Richard V. Horrell
    WW 2 Connections

Military History

Richard V. Horrell