Military History/details re USS President Garfield

Dear Mr Horrell
I have just read your answer to a question about the USS  Pres. Garfield.
My brother has asked me to check on events when he was aboard the Pres. Garfield in 1941. He(and his outfit- the 101st signal battalion) boarded the ship in San Francisco the evening of Dec 6, 1941. She turned about sometime on Dec 7. Is it possible to learn the position she was at when turning, and what units were aboard the ship?

Dear Sir,
       Thank you for your question.  Respectfully, the vessel in question was the SS President Garfield, not the "USS President Garfield".  
       The SS President Garfield departed the San Francisco Port of Embarkation on Saturday, December 6, 1941.  Because of the events of Sunday, December 7, 1941, the SS President Garfield was "ordered back to port of origin December 8, 1941".  As to the specific location the SS President Garfield was when she made a 180 degree turn for her voyage back to San Francisco, I suggest you contact:

Department of the Navy
Naval Historical Center
 805 Kidder Breese  S.E.
  Washington Navy Yard
   Washington     D.C.

As to "what units were aboard the ship" for that particular voyage, I do not have those FACTS.
       Good Luck with your quest.

Richard V. Horrell
    WW 2 Connections

Military History

Richard V. Horrell

Can answer: World War Two. Specifically, the troop transport ships that took US Military Personnel overseas & returned them to the US, 1941-47. Also, unit history of US Army QM, Signal, MP, Ordnance, Medical, Transportation & Engineer units that served during WW 2. The more obscure units are my specialty. If you have the APO that a Veteran sent letters from or received letters at, I can look up the history of that APO.

A lifelong study of WW 2, including participation as a WW 2 Re-enactor, 1980-2002. Also, interviewing over 400 WW 2 Veterans about their role in WW 2.

AASLH, Middle Tennessee Genealogical Society

Over 800 Profiles that I have written for client's about their loved one's role in WW 2.

BA, History & Political Science (19th & 20th Century European History) Webster University, Webster Groves, MO.

Assisting the National Archives on numerous occasions during the 50th Anniversary Commemoration of WW 2, 1991-95.

Respectfully, I do not disclose the names of the clients I deal with. I have a confidentially agreement with them.