Military History/early British navy

I'm writing a sci-fi story involving an alternate universe.  In this story, my main character was once pressed into the early British navy and later jumped ship.  Circumstances have brought him into Portsmouth a few years later, where a naval officer recognizes him and arrests him for desertion.  My question is, since his former ship was in port at the time, would he have been put in the brig on that ship, or would he have been taken to a shore facility?  Also, would he have been allowed visitors in either case?

Thanks for your help.

Dear Jake,
        He would have been placed under arrest and then placed in the brig on the same ship he had served. Normal punishment would consist of flogging on the ship he deserted from and he would receive no visitors until punishment had been carried out. May God Bless-Colonel Robert A. Lynn, Florida Guard

Military History

LTC Robert A. Lynn, Florida Guard

I can answer both specific and general military history questions from ancient times to the present. I also provide references and footnotes where I obtained the answers from.