Military History/Military History - Stone cannon balls in America

Question
I have a friend whose grandson found an almost perfectly round granite ball somewhere in Pennsylvania, about 3" in diameter, with a slight dimple in one spot.  My friend theorizes that it is a stone cannon ball, possibly from the Revolution, War of 1812, or Civil War--and I have added French and Indian War to that list of possibilities.  What I would like to know is how late in American history were stone cannon balls used, and what is the likelihood that this is, indeed, a cannon ball?

Answer
Dear James,
         Stone cannon balls were used up to the Civil War and acted like the fragmentation grenades of today. He can take it to a museum director or an expert in early American history ordnance. May God Bless-Colonel Robert A. Lynn, Florida Guard

Military History

LTC Robert A. Lynn, Florida Guard