Military History/Old wooden military? canteen.

Wooden Canteen 1
Wooden Canteen 1  

Wooden Canteen 2
Wooden Canteen 2  
I purchased this wooden canteen in Greensburg, PA, in the early 1980s.  It was allegedly a military canteen from the late 1800s.
I have many pictures.  It is 10 1/2" across at widest part and about 11" high.  It appears to be held together with grapevine? or some kind of wood that would lend itself to bending easily.  The handle is iron hand forged? I can't find any markings.
I apologize I'm not knowledgeable on these types of items.
I would appreciate any information you can give me.

It is possible a soldier used this canteen but without markings finding the type may be very difficult. Many Civil War canteens had metal rings holding the canteen together.  And a military contractor would want their name on it.  The north during the Civil War started using tin and some medal canteens.  This might have been a personal item a soldier had maybe.  My database for Civil War items is limited.
There is an expert I would ask his link is below.

I wish I had more.

Thank you  

Military History

Paul Sutton

I can answer questions on World War Two weapons, tactics, and strategy. I can answer questions on Weapons systems and their development. I can answer guestions on Space exploration history. I am a World War 2 expert. I study Military Weapons Systems and the usage of those systems.

I work for Saint Petersburg College as a TRS or Technology resources specialist. I read 10 to 15 books a year on World War 2 and weapon systems. I also have a BA in History from USF.

I have a BA in history from USF.