Military History/Pacific WW 2 Troop Transport Ship Name

Question
My father served in the pacific theater with the 43rd division during WWII.
I would be interested to find out the name and any other details of the transport ship which returned him to the U.S.
His Honorable Discharge has his date of departure as 21 Jul 45 and arrival in US 13 Aug 45. I believe he was transported from the Philippines to San Francisco. I'm pretty sure that I remember him saying that he was in San Francisco on VJ day (August 14, 1945?).

Thank You for your assistance,
Karl

Answer
Dear Sir,
       Thank you for your question.  I believe the following are the FACTS you desire:

Departure Date:   July 23, 1945
Departure Location:   Manila, Luzon, Philippine Islands
Troop Ship:   SS Uruguay
Arrival Date:   August 13, 1945
Arrival Location:   San Francisco Port of Embarkation
    Via Pearl Harbor, Territory of Hawaii, August 8, 1945

The difference of "date of departure as 21 Jul 45" & July 23, 1945 is the International Date Line as well as the port of Manila handling the high priority of incoming vessels versus the low priority of out going vessels.  The "21 Jul 45" date was the time when your father stepped off of Filipino soil.
       In Box #2 on page two of your father's Discharge Documents (WD AGO Form 53-55, 1 November 1944) what is the first arabic numeral?  That would help determine whether or not your father was a member of the National Guard.  During WW 2, the 43rd Infantry Division was made up of National Guard Units from Connecticut, Maine, Rhode Island & Vermont.
       Good Luck with your quest.

Respectfully,
   Richard V. Horrell
    WW 2 Connections  

Military History

Richard V. Horrell