Military History/PUC

Question
Army Prov Corps (CG was an Army 2 star and his deputy was Marine MGen Ray Davis) supported Marine BLT 2/4 during the Battle of Dai Do (April 30 1968-May 2 1968). I am not sure exactly what the operational relationship was between 3rd Marine Division and Prov Corps but the Army was in a senior position. 2/4 never received a PUC for their gallant efforts of 652 Marines stopping the attack of the entire NVA 320th Division of ~ 10,000 on the Dong Ha Combat Base. Losing that base would have been a defining moment of the war. My question is: Did Prov Corps receive a PUC for their efforts at that time and would 2/4 be eligible for it if they did (assuming SecNav and CMC approved?

Answer
Dear Jack,
        The Provisional Corps Vietnam was originally MACV Forward and the Provisional Corps Vietnam became operational at Phu Bai on 10 March 1968. The Corps then assumed operational control of the 1st Air Cavalry Division (Airmobile), 3rd Marine Division, 101st Airborne Division (-) with the 3rd Brigade, 82nd Airborne Division under its operational control and Task Force CLEARWATER. The Provisional Corps Vietnam was later consolidated and became XXIV Corps Vietnam until inactivated on 30 June 1972. Neither the Provisional Corps Vietnam nor 2nd Battalion, 4th Marines were ever awarded the Presidential Unit Citation. The 2nd Battalion, 4th Marines was awarded the NUC for the dates of 5 March 1968 to 31 May 1968. May God Bless-Colonel Robert A. Lynn, Florida Guard  

Military History

LTC Robert A. Lynn, Florida Guard