Military History/Toynbee and the Royal Institute of Internation Affairs

Dear Bob

I'm sure you've heard of Arnold Toynbee, who wrote the famous A STUDY OF HISTORY. Well, for many years he was also something called "Director of Studies" of the Royal Institute of International Affairs in London. My question is, what would his duties have been, and can you hazard a guess at a typical day at work, from nine to five? It's one of those public sector type jobs that are very difficult to understand for someone like me who has never done one...what would a day at work have involved?

Thanks as ever,

Paul Murphy (denberg2 on the old Answerway).

Dear Paul,
        The Royal Institute of International Affairs or Chatham House is a think tank located in London, England. Toynbee's duties included giving lectures, discussions, writing papers, budget, and helped produce the Annual Survey of International Affairs which was a detailed annual overview of international relations as well as recording current international history. He was a pioneer in method and a model for scholarship. May God Bless-Colonel Robert A. Lynn, Florida Guard

Military History

LTC Robert A. Lynn, Florida Guard

I can answer both specific and general military history questions from ancient times to the present. I also provide references and footnotes where I obtained the answers from.