Military History/WW 2 Dad's Service Unknown

Question
QUESTION: Hope you can help.  Dad is 96 years old and can't recall much of where he was stationed during the war. Hope you can help from info I found on his Discharge papers and can help his memory:

Box 24: 24 Jul 42

Box 25: CP Grant Ill

Box 32 :Northern France

Box 33: Victory Medal European African Middle Eastern Theater Ribbon w/1 Bronze Battle Star 5  
         Overseas Service Bars 1 Service Stripe Good Conduct Metal

Box 36: 23 May 43  ETO
         1 Nov 45 USA

Thank you

ANSWER: Dear Sir,
       Thank you for your question.  Regrettably, you did not provide me with all the FACTS as per the 57 numbered boxes on page two of your father's Discharge Documents (WD AGO Form 53-55, November 1, 1944).  Therefore, I can only share with you the FACTS, based upon what you typed.

Box #24:   The date your father entered into Active Service

Box #25:   The location your father entered the U.S. Army

Box #32:   The Campaign your father participated in while in the E.T.O., 1943-45.
         July 25-September 14, 1944

Box #33:   The Decorations and Citations your father was awarded for his service in the E.T.O., 1943-45.  The "1 Bronze Battle Star" indicates the one Campaign he participated in, each Overseas Service Bar indicates six months overseas, & the 1 Service Stripe indicates over three years in the U.S. Army.

Box #36:   Service outside Continental U.S. and Return

Departure Date:   May 23, 1943
Departure Location:   New York Port of Embarkation
Troop Shop:   S.S. Mariposa
Arrival Date:   June 1, 1943
Arrival Location:   Liverpool, England
    5,500 Troops onboard

One of the units onboard the S.S. Mariposa on this voyage was the 862nd Engineer Aviation Battalion.  
       Good Luck with your quest.

Richard V. Horrell
   WW 2 Connections

QUESTION: What does E.T.O stand for?  Can you tell what Army Company he was assigned to, e.g. 3rd Army, 5th Army?  Can you tell where we was stationed after Liverpool?  He calls being in France, Germany, etc...
Did his Company enter thru Normandy?

Answer
Dear Sir,
       Thank you for your follow-up.  In it you typed "What does E.T.O. stand for?"  European Theater of Operation.
       In your follow-up you typed "Can you tell me what Army Company he was assigned to"?  Without photocopies of page two, three & four of your father's Discharge Documents, I have no FACTS to begin my research on your behalf.
       In your follow-up you typed "Can you tell me where he was stationed after Liverpool?"  This is the first I am reading that your father was ever stationed in Liverpool, England.  Again, I need FACTS to begin my research on your behalf.  The type of FACTS found on page two, three & four of your father's Discharge Documents.
       In your follow-up you typed "Did his Company enter thru Normandy?"  Yes, his "Company" entered through Normandy, France, along with 95% of every other unit of the U.S. Army, June 6-December 31, 1944.
       With all due respect, unless you provide me with FACTS, I cannot provide you with FACTS.  The best Primary Source Document to begin ACCURATE historic research are the Veteran's Discharge Documents!  Why?  Because the Veteran signed the documents, indicating factual content.
       Good Luck with your quest.

Richard V. Horrell
   WW 2 Connections

Military History

Richard V. Horrell