Military History/WWII medal

My father-in law, William E. Winfree, served in WWII and has all his bars, in fact he has 1 more bar than the 2nd requested set of medals that was sent to me by the government. Just identified the bar as the Philippine Liberation medal with 1 bronze star on it. He was a staff Sergeant in the campaigns of Northern France, Rhineland and Central Europe. On the discharge papers it says he was a platoon sergeant 677 qualified sharp shooter / rifle. His medals were the American Defense, American Theater, EAME, Asiatic-Pacific Theater, Good conduct and the victory medal. Question, why would the Philippine liberation medal not show up on his discharge papers if he had the original one? Also on the 2nd set of medals from the government, they did not include this medal. Any help is appreciated.

It's probably a clerical error of some sort. Are you referring to his DD-214 from when you say "discharge papers?" If so, that's the official record of his decorations. If not, you should try to get a copy of his DD-214 from  the National Archives Military Personnel Records Center in St. Louis at  

Military History

Marc Leepson

I can answer most questions dealing with all aspects of U.S. military history. My expertise is the Vietnam War. I also have written extensively about the U.S. Civil War, World War II, World War I, The Philippine War, and the American Revolution. My books include a concise biography of the Marquis de Lafayette, the history of the American Flag, and the post-Jefferson history of Monticello, and therefore know a great deal about those specific subjects. I specialize in writing about matters of strategy--not tactics. And I also am interested in personalities. I have very little knowledge about ordnance or the value of old military memorabilia. Nor do I know a lot about uniforms and insignia--except about the Vietnam War. To repeat: I have no expertise in assessing the value of ordnance or uniforms or any type of military equipment. And my knowledge about military uniforms is only limited to those of the Vietnam War era. If you have questions on these topics, I recommend contacting an antiques dealer in your area who specializes in military uniforms, ordnance, etc.

Author and journalist with more than 35 years' experience.

Authors Guild BIO International

New York Times, Washington Post, Wall Street Journal, USA Today, Baltimore Sun, Chicago Tribute, New York Newsday, the Arizona Republic, St. Petersburg Times, Detroit News. Magazines: Smithsonian, Preservation, The VVA Veteran, Vietnam, Civil War Times, America's Civil War, Military History, World War II. Editor: The Webster's New World Dictionary of the Vietnam War

BA, 1967, George Washington University, History MA, 1971, George Washington University, European History

Vietnam Veterans of America Excellence in the Arts Award, 2011

Vietnam Veterans of America