Military History/771st

QUESTION: My Dad Morse M Moore was wounded and awarded the Bronze Star for action on Jan. 8, 1945 in Belgium. Do you have any information on this action.

ANSWER: Dear Sir,
       Thank you for your question.  In it you typed "771st".  Would you be so kind as to specify the "771st" your father was assigned to on "Jan. 8, 1945"?  The following are your choices:

771st Anti-Aircraft Gun Battalion
771st Army Postal Unit
771st Field Artillery Battalion
771st Ordnance Light Maintenance Company
771st Tank Battalion
771st Tank Destroyer Battalion

Good Luck with your quest.

Richard V. Horrell
    WW 2 Connections

QUESTION: 771st Tank Battalion

Dear Sir,
       Thank you for your follow-up.  In it you typed "771st Tank Battalion".  Sergeant Morse M. Moore (Beverly Hills, Calif.) was assigned to Company A, 771st Tank Battalion, which was attached [attached] to the 84th Infantry Division, November 19, 1944 through May 8, 1945.  The 84th Infantry Division was assigned to VII Corps, First Army for the date in question, January 8, 1945.
       Sergeant Moore was awarded a Bronze Star Medal for Valour & a Purple Heart Medal for his service with Company A, 771st Tank Battalion during the Rhineland Campaign & the Ardennes-Alsace Campaign in the E.T.O., 1944-45.  The "action on Jan. 8, 1945 in Belgium" was for the liberation of Cielle, Belgium.  The liberation was conducted by 1st Battalion, 334th Infantry Regiment, 84th Infantry Division, with Company A, 771st Tank Battalion attached.  May I suggest you obtain a copy of:

The History of the 771st Tank Battalion
by Edwin Castagna
Berkeley, _?_?_?_        Lederer, Street & Zeus        1946

There is a copy located at the U.S. Army Military History Institute Library.
       I am so appreciative you clarified which "771st" was of interest to you.  So many "771st" to choose from, so little time.
       Good Luck with your quest.

Richard V. Horrell
   WW 2 Connections

Military History

Richard V. Horrell

Can answer: World War Two. Specifically, the troop transport ships that took US Military Personnel overseas & returned them to the US, 1941-47. Also, unit history of US Army QM, Signal, MP, Ordnance, Medical, Transportation & Engineer units that served during WW 2. The more obscure units are my specialty. If you have the APO that a Veteran sent letters from or received letters at, I can look up the history of that APO.

A lifelong study of WW 2, including participation as a WW 2 Re-enactor, 1980-2002. Also, interviewing over 400 WW 2 Veterans about their role in WW 2.

AASLH, Middle Tennessee Genealogical Society

Over 800 Profiles that I have written for client's about their loved one's role in WW 2.

BA, History & Political Science (19th & 20th Century European History) Webster University, Webster Groves, MO.

Assisting the National Archives on numerous occasions during the 50th Anniversary Commemoration of WW 2, 1991-95.

Respectfully, I do not disclose the names of the clients I deal with. I have a confidentially agreement with them.