Military History/998th Engineer Treadway Bridge Co.

Question
QUESTION: Is there any way to know where exactly my father Lawrence Michael Berardi T/5 #32 584 472 was during WWII as he served with the 998 Treadway Bridge Co. in WWII.  Also the names (roster) of those who served with him.  We believe he was with the 291st Engineers Company C...We also know he was in the Battle of the Bulge; the Ardennes, Normandy, Rhineland, Northern France. He never spoke of his time in the war but heard that he suffered from 'overexposure' at sometime during these battles.  He did survive the war and was discharged Oct of 1945. Thank you so much for any information you can offer.

ANSWER: Hello neighbor,
       Thank you for your question.  In it you typed "Is there any way to know where exactly my father.......during WWII".  No.  The only source for those FACTS would be your father's personnel file, which was probably destroyed in a fire in St. Louis, Missouri in July 1973.  YOU can go ahead & send a letter-of-request to attempt to obtain your father's personnel file.  The address is:

National Personnel Records Center
1 Archives Drive
 St. Louis   MO   63138

In your question you typed "he served with the 998 Treadway Bridge Co.".  May I ask for your source that your father was assigned [assigned] to the 998th Engineer Treadway Bridge Company prior to May 8, 1945?  Of course you could obtain the unit records of the 998th Engineer Treadway Bridge Company, which are located at:

U.S. Army Heritage & Education Center
950 Soldiers Drive
 Carlisle   PA   17013

In your question you typed "the names (roster) of those who served with him."  Would be a part of the unit records.
       In your question you typed "We believe he was with the 291st Engineer" Combat Battalion.  OK!  So which unit was your father assigned [assigned] to prior to May 8, 1945?  These two units are totally different types of units, hence the names.  The 998th Engineer Treadway Bridge Company & the 291st Engineer Combat Battalion were both, at one time, assigned [assigned] to the 1111th Engineer Combat Group in March 1945.  PLEASE clarify, I am perplexed.
       In your question you typed "he suffered from "overexposure" at sometime during these battles."  OK!  Please define "overexposure"?  Does this have to do with climate?  The Battle of the Bulge was fought during the coldest European Winter of the 20th Century.  
       The following are FACTS I can offer about the 998th Engineer Treadway Bridge Company (NOT your father):

Commanding Officer:  Captain G.E. Hancock

arrived in France July 18, 1944

assigned to 1101st Engineer Combat Group, XV Corps, Third Army, August 1, 1944

XV Corps, Third Army was transferred to First Army, August 24, 1944

XV Corps, First Army was transferred to Third Army, September 2, 1944

assigned to 1145th Engineer Combat Group, XXI Corps, Seventh Army, early January through mid February 1945

assigned to 1159th Engineer Combat Group, III Corps, First Army, February 22, 1945

assigned to 1111th Engineer Combat Group, First Army, March 8, 1945

Would you share with me ALL THE DATES typed in Box #36 on page two of your father's Discharge Documents?
       Good Luck with your quest.

Richard V. Horrell
   WW 2 Connections
    2011 Richard Jones Road
     Apt.      E 26
      Nashville   TN   37215-2837

Berardi Discharge Papers
Berardi Discharge Pape  

998th Bridge at Mooseburg, Germany
998th Bridge at Mooseb  
QUESTION: Hello Mr. Horrell, Thank you so much for your quick response and additional information.  My sisters and I were quite happy with this. We all agree that this also has us 'perplexed'.

I hope my attachment shows a copy of my dad's discharge papers and pictures.  I would be happy to mail them to you if that helps.  In the meantime, coincidently, I have just submitted a letter-of-request to obtain my dad's personnel file and I did read about the unfortunate fire.

Regarding the source of my dad's unit, this came from his discharge papers and army pictures.  My sisters and I have read the book "First Across the Rhine" by David Pergrin and thus our confusion with the 291st Engineers since he mentions the 998 Treadway Bridge Co. connected with this unit.  
According to bridge pictures where a sign is posted indicating the 998 TBCo. was there, we have assumed my dad was in Mooseburg, Germany in late April of 1945.  
We have also assumed he was on the Rhine working north of the Ludendorff Bridge in March of 1945.
During my research, I also found unfortunately an obituary of a soldier from the 998th TBCo. killed in action on Feb. 7, 1945 somewhere in Lorraine, France (where he is buried).  This tells me it's possible my dad was there also with the 998th.  
Since my dad's papers indicate he was at the Ardennes, we can assume that was in winter of 1944.
Prior to that and according to an army buddy(we have an army picture of him and my dad) named Frank Stano of P.A., my dad and Frank left N.J. in March of 1944 and went to England.  From there they left England in June of 1944 and arrived in Normandy 20 days or so after D-Day. Our main source for this is an online interview Frank Stano gave from "Veteransvoice of Pittsburg.com  Also in this interview is how we learned that Gene E. Hancock was their Captain.  And you also told us that in those wonderful facts of the 998th.
As far as my dad's overexposure, we do not know much about that I guess since we may not be able to obtain medical records.  These records would be extremely helpful.
So to answer your request of Box #36 on his discharge papers, the dates are:
Departure-24 Mar 44; Destination ETO; Arrival-5 April 91 (?)could that be an error?
Departure-25 Aug 45; Destination USA; Arrival-2 Sep 45

Again, thank you so much Mr. Horrell for your findings and I can submit any other paperwork to you directly if you need. I appreciate all the contact information you offered too, especially the address of the 998th which we plan to pursue.  I hope these pictures have clarity and help.

Sincerely,
Janet A. (Berardi) Steidle,
3952  River Road
Ten Mile, TN 37880

Answer
Dear Mrs. Steidle,
       Thank you for your follow-up.  In it you typed "my attachment shows a copy of my dad's discharge papers".  Yes, page two of your father's four page Discharge Documents, invaluable toward ACCURATE historic research.  Note your father's signature in Box #56, indicating accuracy.
       In your follow-up you typed "the Rhine working north of the Ludendorff Bridge in March of 1945."  Respectfully, it was the Ludendorff Railroad Bridge.
       In your follow-up you typed "Since my dad's papers indicate he was at the Ardennes, we can assume that was in winter of 1944."  The Ardennes-Alsace Campaign was fought December 16, 1944-January 15, 1945.
       In your follow-up you typed "left N.J. in March of 1944 and went to England."  More on that shortly.
       In your follow-up you typed "As far as my dad's overexposure, we do not know much about that".  When & from whom did you first read/hear the term "overexposure" as it relates to your father in the E.T.O., 1944-45?
       As to the dates in Box #36 on page two of your father's Discharge Documents:

Departure Date:   March 24, 1944
Departure Location:   Boston, Massachusetts Port of Embarkation
Troop Ship:   SS Exchange
Arrival Date:   April 4, 1944
Arrival Location:   Swansea, Wales
    2,200 Troops onboard

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Departure Date:   August 26, 1945
Departure Location:   Southampton, England
Troop Ship:   RMS Queen Elizabeth
Arrival Date:   August 31, 1945
Arrival Location:   New York Port of Embarkation
    Colonel James Stewart (actor) onboard

The difference between dates in Box #36 & the dates typed here is when your father stepped off of soil (earth) onto or off a troop ship, & when the troop ship departed or arrived at a port.  It takes time to load & unload ships.
       In the next 3-5 days I will send you a packet via First Class U.S.P.S.  Within will be additional FACTS as per the 998th Engineer Treadway Bridge Company.
       Good Luck with your quest.

Sincerely,
   Richard V. Horrell
    WW 2 Connections
     2011 Richard Jones Road
      Apt.      E 26
       Nashville   TN   37215-2837

Military History

Richard V. Horrell