Military History/SS NYU Victory Ship

Question
QUESTION: Mr. Horrell,

First, thank you so much for the extensive response you sent regarding my search for a Victory ship photo! I appreciate your time and expertise in helping me.

Here is the additional information you requested.

Discharge Document, page 2, Box #36

16 Jun 44
20 Aug 45

It's interesting that the SS NYU Victory departed on 19 August 1945 and my dad's departure date is 20 August.  I will call him to verify that he left from Antwerp, Belgium.

He also told me he was transported on the Athlone Castle from the US to England in June of 1944.  

Thank you for your interest in his book.  I will keep you informed as to when it will be available.

Sincerely,

Patricia

ANSWER: Dear Ms.,
       Thank you for your follow-up.  In it you typed "It's interesting that the.......he left from Antwerp, Belgium."  What your father told you & the FACTS I have provided you may both very well be correct!  The voyage began from Antwerp on August 19, 1945.  However, voyages departing from Antwerp often made stops at Le Havre, Cherbourg (France) or Southampton, Liverpool (England).  My FACTS are for the departure & arrival, but not always for the stops in between.
       In your follow-up you typed "He also told me he was.......in June of 1944."

Departure Date:   June 16, 1944
Departure Location:   New York Port of Embarkation
Troop Ship:   R.M.S. Athlone Castle
Arrival Date:   June 27, 1944
Arrival Location:   Liverpool, England
    5,011 Troops onboard

One of the units onboard was the 738th Field Artillery Battalion.  What unit was your father assigned to prior to May 8, 1945?
       Good Luck with your quest.  Please DO let me know when the book becomes available.

Respectfully,
   Richard V. Horrell
    WW 2 Connections
     2011 Richard Jones Road
      Apt.      E 26
       Nashville   TN
         37215-2837  

QUESTION: Mr. Horrell,

I spoke to my dad and he said that he boarded the SS NYU Victory in La Harve, France.  So, that would explain the 20 August date.

I contacted NYU archives and they have a photo of the SS NYU!  Since we are self-publishing, there is no charge for using the photo; only a small charge to scan the photo.  

My dad was with G Company, 176th Infantry, 29th Division when he left the US in June of 1944.  When landed in Normandy in July, he was assigned as a replacement soldier to F Company, 120th Regiment, 30th Infantry Division.

Thank you Mr. Horrell for sharing your expertise and for your interest in my dad's service.

Sincerely,

Patrica

ANSWER: Dear Ms.,
       Thank you for your follow-up.  I am pleased to read that all the dates & locations for the S.S. NYU Victory match everyone's recollections & data base.  Also, I am so, so pleased to read that you will be able to obtain an image of the S.S. NYU Victory.  HOOOOOOOOOOORAY!!!
       In your follow-up you typed "My dad was with G Company, 176th Infantry, 29th Division when he left the US in June of 1944."  With all due respect, the 176th Infantry Regiment, Virginia National Guard was relieved from assignment to the 29th Infantry Division March 11, 1942.  The 176th was de-activated at Fort Benning, Georgia July 10, 1944.  Does your father's Serial Number begin with the arabic numeral "2"?
       In your follow-up you typed that your father "was assigned as a replacement soldier to F Company, 120th Regiment, 30th Infantry Division."  From the Virginia National Guard to the North Carolina National Guard.  Sort of a neighborly thing I suppose.  LOL  My favourite reference to the 30th Infantry Division was Adolph Hitler's, "Roosevelt's S.S."!  Hopefully you know the full story of what your father did to defend our great republic.  The 30th Infantry Division, "Old Hickory" & as tough as a piece of Hickory Wood!
       Good Luck with your quest.

Respectfully,
   Richard V. Horrell
    WW 2 Connections
     2011 Richard Jones Road
      Apt.      E 26
       Nashville   TN   37215-2837   

QUESTION: Mr.. Horrell,

Thank you for letting me know that I need clarification from my dad regarding the unit he was in before he left the US in 1944.

In February of 1941, he was stationed at FT Meade, MD with the 176th Infantry. From there he participated in the Carolina Maneuvers (SEP); transferred to the US Army Military District in DC for Honor Guard duty (MAR); then FT Benning, GA (1943), as an instructor at the Infantry School before leaving the US on 16 June 45.

I now know that I have more questions I need to ask my dad!

My dad's army serial number does start with "2".

Thanks again for your attention to detail.  It's greatly appreciated.

Answer
Dear Ms.,
       Thank you for your follow-up.  In it you typed "In February of 1941, he was.......instructor at the Infantry School".  As you have typed, these are the recollections of your father.  The following are the FACTS as per the 176th Infantry Regiment, Virginia National Guard:

Federalized into the U.S. Army & assigned to the 29th Infantry Division at Richmond, Virginia, February 3, 1941

Relocated to Fort George G. Meade, Maryland, February 17, 1941

japanese attached Pearl Harbor, Sunday, December 7, 1941

Detached to guard Washington, D.C., December 17, 1941

Relieved from assignment to the 29th Infantry Division, March 11, 1942

(at this time the 176th Infantry Regiment, Virginia National Guard was assigned to General Headquarters: served as White House Honor Guard, Presidential Special Guard, guard for the Capitol and other government buildings as well as for the Combined Chiefs of Staff; performed ceremonial and escort functions and engaged in protective security for scattered vital capitol area facilities)  

Relocated to Fort A.P. Hill, Virginia, February 20, 1943

Assigned to the Replacement & School Command, April 1, 1943

Relocated to Fort Benning, Georgia, as Infantry School Instructors & Troops, April 11, 1943

De-activated at Fort Benning, Georgia, July 10, 1944

Would you be so kind as to ask your father was awarded an X.I.B.? (NOT a C.I.B.)
       In your follow-up you typed "My dad's army serial number does start with "2"."  One more indicator that your father was pre-war National Guard, Federalized into the U.S. Army February 3, 1941.  Prior to that date, Virginia National Guard!
       My e-mail address is      www.WW2Connections@aol.com      May I suggest you contact me directly, so that I may assist you further with FACTS about your father's service during WW 2, THE pivotal event of the 20th Century!

Sincerely,
   Richard V. Horrell
    WW 2 Connections
     2011 Richard Jones Road
      Apt.      E 26
       Nashville   TN
         37215-2837  

Military History

Richard V. Horrell