Military History/4165th Quartermaster Truck Company in WW 2

Question
Hi Richard,

I'm trying find some information about this truck company that my father served in during WW2, but have had no luck ... thought that you may know something about it ... it's the 4165th Quartermaster Truck Company. I think the unit may have not officially formed since the war ended before it could arrive in the Pacific.

I'm also trying to figure out where my father served in Europe and the Quartermaster Truck Company he served with there ... I don't know the number of the company ... but I can give you some other details ...

My dad, Aubrey E. Glymph of Pomaria, SC, was assigned to the 4165th QM Truck Company at the close of the war. I have his discharge papers ... they say he was a Tech 5 Corporal when he was discharged on January 28, 1946 ...

This papers also say he was drafted on October 25, 1943 and received basic training at Camp Croft in Spartanburg, SC.

He served in Europe in the 3rd Army ... leaving Boston on the USS Wakefield on May 11, 1944 and arriving in Liverpool, England on May 21, 1944.  I think (?) he said she was stationed near Manchester ... He said he was on the Normandy beaches soon after D-Day, before St. Lo was taken ... he came ashore at Omaha Beach ... He was a heavy truck driver (2 1/2 ton -- deuce-and-a-half) ... said they were hauling in troops, ammo and equipment.

His discharge papers list the battles and campaigns he was in ... Northern France and Ardennes with the code GO 105 WD 45 ... I know he was in Reims, France at some point ... he said he never made it into Germany ...

His discharge papers say he left Europe on August 6, 1945 ... he was aboard the SS Marine Panther headed for the Pacific .. he said that they received news that the war was over and headed for New York ... arriving on August 18, 1945 ...

That most of what I know ... again, I'd like to know which Quartermaster Truck Company he was with in Europe and any other details you can provide about his company ... I've tried to get more of his service records, but was told they were destroyed in a warehouse fire in the 1970s.

Thanks so much for your help! Any information you can provided would be greatly appreciated.

Gregg

Answer
Dear Sir,
       Thank you for your question.  In it you typed "it's the 4165th.......arrive in the Pacific."  With all due respect, I could find no "4165th Quartermaster Truck Company" activated by the US Military during WW 2.  However, I did learn of a 4165th Quartermaster Depot Supply Company activated by the US Military during WW 2.  The 4165th Quartermaster Depot Supply Company participated in the Rhineland Campaign (September 15, 1944-March 21, 1945) as well as the Army of Occupation in Germany, May 2-July 4, 1945.  Therefore, the 4165th Quartermaster Depot Supply Company was "officially formed" (activated) well "before it could arrive in the Pacific."
       In your question you typed "I'm also trying to figure.......you some other details."  What units are listed on page three & page four of your father's Discharge Documents (WD AGO Form 53-55)?  Also have you access to any of your father's wartime correspondence?  We do NOT need the letters, but the envelopes.  Depending upon who sent the letter, your father's unit appears in the address or the return address.
       In your question you typed "was assigned to the.......close of the war."  I am assuming (something I am loathed to do) that the 4165th was the unit typed in Box #6 on page two of your father's Discharge Documents (WD AGO Form 53-55)?
       In your question you typed "I have his discharge papers."  WONDERFUL!!!  I am pleased to read that you have ALL FOUR pages of your father's WD AGO Form 53-55.  It is always a pleasure to begin ACCURATE historic research with FACTS.
       In your question you typed "they say he was a Tech 5".  Pay was $66.00 per month.
       In your question you typed "received basic training at Camp Croft".  Camp Croft was an Infantry Replacement Training Center.
       In your question you typed "He served in Europe in the 3rd Army."  Would you be so kind as to share with me your source that your father "served" in Third Army?
       In your question you typed "leaving Boston on the.......May 21, 1944."  There were 6,838 Troops onboard that specific voyage.
       In your question you typed "He said he was.......ashore at Omaha Beach."  St. Lo was liberated July 18, 1944.
       In your question you typed "His discharge papers list the battles and campaigns he was in ... Northern France and Ardennes".  Northern France, July 25-September 14, 1944.  Ardennes-Alsace, December 16, 1944-January 15, 1945.  Therefore, according to your father's Discharge Documents (WD AGO Form 53-55) he arrived in France sometime after July 25, 1944.
       In your question you typed "His discharge papers say.......arriving on August 18, 1945".  

Departure Date:   August 6, 1945
Departure Location:   Marseilles, France
Troop Ship:   SS Marine Panther
Arrival Date:   August 18, 1945
Arrival Location:   New York Port of Embarkation
    via the Straits of Gibraltar

You are welcome to photocopy your father's Discharge Documents (WD AGO Form 53-55) all four pages please, then send the photocopies to me via First Class USPS.  Please be sure to include your e-mail address for ease of response.  It would be my pleasure to share with you any FACTS I glean from the Discharge Documents.
       Good Luck with your quest.

Respectfully,
   Richard V. Horrell
    WW 2 Connections
     2011 Richard Jones Road
      Apt      E 26
       Nashville   TN   37215-2837  

Military History

Richard V. Horrell