Military History/43rd Infantry Division Band, New Zealand 1944

Question
QUESTION: Hi Richard, I am writing a novel and one of my characters is in the 43rd Divisional Band, which stayed at Victoria Park Camp in Auckland, New Zealand between around February and July 1944. Do you know what ships they arrived and departed on? And, where would I get more specific information on the band specifically - not much in the Unit History of the 43rd. Individual accounts would be amazing if any exist. I am also interested in the 43rd Bands time o/s just before arriving in NZ and their time in the Pacific following. My character gets wounded shortly after he leaves NZ.
Kindest,
Caroline

ANSWER: Dear Ms. __?__?__,
       Thank you for your question.  In it you typed "I am writing a novel".  GREAT!!!  Always pleasant to read that someone is trying to add a few FACTS to fiction.
       In your question you typed "one of my characters is in the 43rd Divisional Band".  You are correct, 58 men were assigned [assigned] to HQ, 43rd Infantry Division as musicians during WW 2.
       In your question you typed "stayed at Victoria Park Camp in Auckland, New Zealand between around February and July 1944."  WOW, great FACTS, I commend you!!!
       In your question you typed "Do you know what ships they arrived and departed on?"  No, I do not.  The 11,304 entries in my troop ship data base are almost all for troops going overseas or returning from overseas.  VERY few entries for voyages within the theater of operation.  You may wish to research:

http://www.navy.gov.au/media-room/publications/wwii-merchant-ship-movement-recor

or you can contact:

US Army Heritage and Education Center
950 Soldiers Drive
 Carlisle   PA   17013
     U.S.A.

to try to obtain the unit records for the 43rd Infantry Division, New Hampshire, Rhode Island, Vermont & Connecticut National Guard.

In your question you typed "where would I get more specific information on the band"?  Generally, most divisional bands were organized from the assets (men, instruments, equipment, vehicles, etc) of the smaller units that were assigned [assigned] to the division.  I suggest you research the unit histories of the following units:

103rd Infantry Regiment, Maine National Guard
169th Infantry Regiment, Connecticut National Guard
172nd Infantry Regiment, Vermont National Guard

103rd Field Artillery Battalion, Rhode Island National Guard
152nd Field Artillery Battalion, Maine National Guard
169th Field Artillery Battalion, Rhode Island National Guard
172nd Field Artillery Battalion, New Hampshire National Guard

118th Engineer Combat Battalion, Rhode Island National Guard

It would be my pleasure to send you a bibliography of the unit histories for these units.  Please send me your mailing address & I will send you the bibliography.
       Good Luck with your quest.  I look forward to a letter from you via the post office at your convenience.

Respectfully,
   Richard V. Horrell
    WW 2 Connections
     2011 Richard Jones Road
      Apt      E 26
       Nashville   TN   37215-2837
         U.S.A.

QUESTION: Thank you so much Richard, that is most helpful. It would be fantastic to have the bibliography of the unit histories of the 43rd. All of those listed would be great but particularly the 169th (both Rhode Island and Connecticut). Is it possible to email me with the lists, instead of post?
Kindest,
Caroline Barron

Answer
Dear Ms. Barron,
       Thank you for your follow-up.  It would be my pleasure to e-mail you with the lists.  However, you will need to find a way to provide me with your e-mail address.  I will provide my e-mail address, but I am unsure whether or not AllExperts will allow my e-mail address to be provided to you via AllExperts.  WW2Connections@aol.com
       Good Luck with your quest.

Respectfully,
   Richard V. Horrell
    WW 2 Connections

Military History

Richard V. Horrell