Military History/796th Military Police Battalion in WW 2

Question
My Grandfather was in the 796th in WWII and I cant find anything on them. I have heard that they were under Gen. Patton in Africa not sure if it is true or not. I never knew my grandfather and only recently learned of him. I have found his records which I thought had burned in the fire of 1973. The records show 2 campaigns Northern France And Rhineland. Also have heard that he was a P.O.W but not sure. Can you help me find out something about the 796th and how to find anything about him?

Thanks,
John Bowers

Answer
Dear sir,
       Thank you for your question.  In it you typed "My Grandfather was in the 796th in WWII".  Respectfully, what is your source that your grandfather was assigned [assigned] to the 796th MP Battalion prior to May 8, 1945?
       In your question you typed "I cannot find anything on them."  Have you obtained the unit records from:

US Army Heritage & Education Center
950 Soldiers Drive
 Carlisle   PA   17013

In your question you typed "I have heard that they were under Gen. Patton in Africa".  Please refer to my next response.
       In your question you typed " The records show 2 campaigns Northern France And [sic] Rhineland."

Northern France     July 25-September 14, 1944
Rhineland          September 15, 1944-March 21, 1945

Since combat ceased in North Africa on May 13, 1943, & Campaign Credits for the 796th MP Battalion begin with July 25, 1944, the 796th MP Battalion did not serve with "Gen. Patton in Africa".  
       In your question you typed "have heard that he was a P.O.W".  From whom?  What was their source for the statement?
       In your question you typed "Can you help me find out something about the 796th" MP Battalion?  Yes, the unit records in Pennsylvania.
       In your question you typed "how to find anything about him?"  You have already indicated you "have found his records" so you must then have all the FACTS recorded by the US Army about your grandfather during WW 2.  However, if you wish to send me via First Class U.S.P.S. a photocopy of page two of your grandfather's Discharge Documents (WD AGO Form 53-55) it would be my pleasure to share with you any FACTS I glean from the documents.
       Good Luck with your quest.

Respectfully,
   Richard V. Horrell
    WW 2 Connections
     2011 Richard Jones Road
      Apt      E 26
       Nashville   TN   37215-2837

Military History

Richard V. Horrell