Military History/US Army WW 2 Questions

Dear Sir, Hello! Happy new year! I have a couple of questions I hope u can help with regarding my father. My dad was in WW2. He went to the Philippines when the U.S. Took them back from Japan. He went to Basic, Cano Robinson Arkansas. From there, he went to school in Maryland. He was sent to Luzon, PI. arrived 24 May, 1945. He was assigned to Battery A, 192nd field Artillery Battalion, and 169th infantry regiment, 43rd Infantry Division. Copy 1 of his 53-55 along with other records were destroyed in a fire when I rented an apt. It listed CIB on awards section . Other copies do not list this. During this Period, Where would a copy of the CIB be listed? IE, Regiment, etc? The VA is requiring me to find this to have his headstone engraved.  He left Philipines, Arrived in Tokyo Japan, Sept. 1945. He was Transferred to HHB 271stbFA Battalion. His last Job was MOS 814, Operations Chief. He was in Japan for 1 year. Discharged Technical Sergeant, Camp Drake Tokyo. (Today's Sergeant First Class). Another question is what would his job have been with the 271St? On his seperation record it lists no schools attended, even basic. All he told me was he went to school in Maryland. I have some records if u would like them . His APO IN Japan Was 201. He was separated at Fort Sheridan Il, 16 Oct. 1946 on terminal leave. Thank you in advance for your help ! Best regards, Mark Holland

Dear Sir,
       Thank you for your question.  In it you typed "He was sent to Luzon, PI. arrived 24 May, 1945."  The SS Bloemfontein (Dutch) arrived at Batangas, Luzon, Philippine Islands May 24, 1945.
       In your question you typed "He was assigned to Battery A, 192nd field [sic] Artillery Battalion, and 169th infantry regiment [sic], 43rd Infantry Division."  I am familiar with the 192nd Field Artillery Battalion, Connecticut National Guard as well as the 169th Infantry Regiment, Connecticut National Guard, both organic to the 43rd Infantry Division during WW 2.  My confusion is, which unit was your father assigned [assigned] to, Field Artillery OR Infantry?
       In your question you typed "Copy 1 of his 53-55".  I am pleased that you utilize the FACTS from page two of your father's Discharge Documents, WD AGO Form 53-55.
       In your question you typed "It listed CIB on awards section."  Respectfully, there is not an "awarded section" on page two of the WD AGO Form 53-55.  Box #31 indicates Military Qualifications and Dates, Box #32 Battles and Campaigns, Box #33 Decorations and Citations and Box #34 Wounds Received In Action.
       In your question you typed "Other copies do not list this."  So you are typing that on page two of "Copy 1" (the copy you no longer possess) of your father's WD AGO Form 53-55 that your father was awarded a "CIB" (Combat Infantryman Badge)? (If your father was assigned [assigned] to the 192nd Field Artillery Battalion, Connecticut National Guard, how/why would your  father be awarded a Combat INFANTRYMAN Badge?)
       Then, on page two of Copies 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, & 10 of your father's WD AGO Form 53-55 that a "CIB" was NOT awarded to your father?  Were page 2, page 3 & page 4 of your father's WD AGO Form 53-55 typed or hand written?  
       In your question you typed "During this Period [sic], Where [sic] would a copy of the CIB be listed?"  In the unit records of the 169th Infantry Regiment, Connecticut National Guard, IF your father was ever assigned [assigned] to said unit.  The unit records are located at:

US Army Heritage & Education Center
950 Soldiers Drive
 Carlisle   PA   17013

In your question you typed "He was Transferred [sic] to HHB 271stFA Battalion."  I am familiar with Headquarters & Headquarters Battery, 271st Field Artillery Battalion, assigned [assigned] to the 1st Cavalry Division from October 11, 1943 until the 1st Cavalry Division's occupation of Japan was completed.
       In your question you typed "His last job was MOS 814, Operations Chief."

OPERATIONSNONCOMMISSIONED OFFICER (814)  Assists operations officer in maintaining current military intelligence as to location and strength of friendly and enemy troop units, preparing plans for tactical employment and disposition of troops in attacks against enemy forces and the strategic withdrawal of troops in retrograde movements.

Maintains ground or aerial photo maps of combat area on which is currently posted all military information received from intelligence units pertaining to location, strength, and disposition of friendly and enemy units, using colored pins, conventional Army signs, and other markers.  Maintains diary or log of military activities and other incidents in which unit is involved.  Assists in preparation of tactical plans concerning attacks against enemy forces and withdrawal of troops.  Supervises typing and clerical work required in preparation of combat orders.  Prepares map overlays or sketches issued with combat orders.  Routes combat orders and map overlays to units concerned.

Equipment included drafting boards, drafting pens, overlay paper, stereoscopes used in reading and interpreting aerial photos, and protractor used to locate points on maps.

Must know general organization of arm or service to which assigned and be familiar with its tactical employment and technique.  Must be able to read maps accurately.  Must be able to use stereoscopes and interpret aerial photos.  Must be able to prepare map overlays using drafting table, overlay paper, and drafting pens.

In your question you typed Discharged Technical Sergeant (pay was $114.00 per month) Camp Drake, Tokyo.  So your father was discharged from the US Army in Tokyo, Japan?  Interesting!!!
       In your question you typed "I have some records if u [sic] would like them."  No thank you, I will work with what you have typed.
       In your question you typed "His APO IN [sic] Japan Was [sic] 201."  APO 201 was the APO for the 1st Cavalry Division.
       In your question you typed "He was separated at Fort Sheridan, Il, 16 Oct. 1946."  I thought your father was discharged from the US Army in Tokyo, Japan.  Now I AM confused!!!
       Good Luck with your quest.

Richard V. Horrell
   WW 2 Connections  

Military History

Richard V. Horrell

Can answer: World War Two. Specifically, the troop transport ships that took US Military Personnel overseas & returned them to the US, 1941-47. Also, unit history of US Army QM, Signal, MP, Ordnance, Medical, Transportation & Engineer units that served during WW 2. The more obscure units are my specialty. If you have the APO that a Veteran sent letters from or received letters at, I can look up the history of that APO.

A lifelong study of WW 2, including participation as a WW 2 Re-enactor, 1980-2002. Also, interviewing over 400 WW 2 Veterans about their role in WW 2.

AASLH, Middle Tennessee Genealogical Society

Over 800 Profiles that I have written for client's about their loved one's role in WW 2.

BA, History & Political Science (19th & 20th Century European History) Webster University, Webster Groves, MO.

Assisting the National Archives on numerous occasions during the 50th Anniversary Commemoration of WW 2, 1991-95.

Respectfully, I do not disclose the names of the clients I deal with. I have a confidentially agreement with them.