Military History/US badge silver with 2 stars

I got my first enamel us badge silver with 2 stars, so can you tell me all about it please? I have seen many, but I don’t know what it is.

Hello Sally,

Congratulation on your first US Badge, you got a nice one!

This is called a Combat Infantryman's Badge Third Award (CIB Third Award), and only 325 Men in the history of the United States Army have ever been awarded the "Triple CIB", all of them served in WWII, The Korean War and Vietnam War.

Since Vietnam, no one has ever been awarded the CIB Third Award.

History and Symbolism of the CIB:

If the links do not allow you to click on them directly, cut and paste them into a new browser.

I hope that I have been able to answer your questions. If you have any more questions, please feel free to contact me and I would me more than happy to answer them.

Military History

John Vargas

I can answer both specific and general questions about U.S. Army, and Naval Aviation from 1913 to 1946, and WWII U.S. Airborne, to include key personalities, units, commands, and doctrines. My specialty is U.S. Aviation Badges (all Branches of the Service, from WWI to the Present), U.S. Airborne Badges and Insignia (from WWII to the Present) as well as Aviation Badges Insignia and Issued Flight Gear (flight uniforms, helmets, sunglasses, etc…), Airborne, and Infantry Badges and Insignia (from WWI to the Present), both authorized and unauthorized, of the period. I have access to a vast personal library of text (as well as text from others...such as museums), as well as all the actual original badges, insignia and most of the flight gear that are specific to this period of history.

I have over 20 year’s experience in collecting and cataloging WWI, and WWI U.S. Army Aviation, WWI, and WWII U.S. Naval Aviation, WWI and WWII U.S. Issue Aviation Flight Gear, and U.S. Airborne Badges, Insignia and Airborne Equipment. I was the former assistant curator at the Gen. Wm. C. Lee Airborne Museum, when I lived in NC. I have written histories of Wing Badges and Aviation Insignia for several manufacturing companies to include The Robbins Company, Bailey Banks and Biddle, and I am working on the histories for several other companies at the moment such as Bausch and Lomb Tiffany, Herff Jones and several others. I am a consultant on regular basis to many museums (including the U.S.A.F., U.S. Army, Private and Public Museums, the Institute of Heraldry as well as the Department of National Defence and the Canadian Armed Forces), and I am regularly called upon to authenticate U.S. Aviation Badges, Insignia and Flight Gear (all Branches of the Service) for Fine Auctions Houses such as Bonham’s and Butterfields, and Sunglass manufactures such as Including Bausch & Lomb and Luxottica (vintage verification)...and many others.

Vietnam Helicopter Pilots Association (VHPA-FL) Historian - I am not a Vietnam Veteran, or a Vietnam Era Helicopter Pilot, I was not old enough to serve in Vietnam, unless the U.S. needed a one-year-old, then I would have Proudly Served.

I am perusing an advanced degree in history (Ph.D.), with a concentration in WWI and WWII U.S. Aviation. I am a U.S. Army Paratrooper and I am a Qualified and Rated Aviator.

Kentucky Colonel, National Honor Society, President’s List, Campbell University, Distinguished Honor Graduate, Various “Who's Who”, from 1988 to Present, Numerous Special Recognition Awards, both Military and Civilian.