Military History/Co F, 410th Infantry Regiment, 103rd Infantry Division

Question
Mr. Horrell,

On my father's discharge record for World War II, in box 6. it says:
Co F 410 Inf. In box 33 there is a note that says Purple Heart GO 9 HQ 106 AAA AW Bn 28 Jan 45. I remember that he said he was a cannoneer on a half track, but I am confused about finding both the 410 Inf and the 106 AAA AW Bn on his discharge. My only photograph of him when he returned from the war appears to show a cactus patch on his left arm for I believe the 103d cactus division.  Thank you for any information you can give me!

Answer
Dear Sir,
       Thank you for your question.  Also, THANK YOU for referring to me as "Mr. Horrell".  Good manners NEVER go out of style.
       In your question you typed "On my father's discharge record for World War II, in box 6. it says Co F 410 Inf."  The unit typed in Box #6 on page two of your father's Discharge Documents (WD AGO Form 53-55) is the unit your father was assigned [assigned] to when he was discharged from the US Army.  It is NOT the unit your father was assigned [assigned] to prior to May 8, 1945.  
       In your question you typed "In box 33 there is a note that says Purple Heart GO 9 HQ 106 AAA AW BN 28 Jan 45."  I am familiar with the 106th Anti-Aircraft Artillery Automatic Weapons Battalion (Self Propelled) Kentucky National Guard, one of the finest AAA Units to serve in the M.T.O. during WW 2.  The 106th was the unit your father was assigned [assigned] to prior to May 8, 1945.  In other words, the 106th was the unit your father served in combat with during WW 2.  The 410th was the unit your father was assigned [assigned] to after May 8, 1945, to return to the U.S.A.
       In your question you typed "said he was a cannoneer on a half track".  That is true.  The Half-Track is what made the 106th Self Propelled.
       In your question you typed "only photograph of him.......the 103d cactus division."  The correct numerical designation was the 103rd Infantry Division.  Some referred to the unit as "The Cactus Division" because of the shoulder patch.  The cactuc represented the region where the unit was first organized, Colorado, New Mexico & Arizona.
       Would you be so kind as to share with me ALL THE DATES typed in Box #36 on page two of your father's Discharge Document (WD AGO Form 53-55)?
       Good Luck with your quest.

Sincerely,
   Richard V. Horrell
    WW 2 Connections  

Military History

Richard V. Horrell