Military History/4165th Quartermaster Truck Company in WW 2

Bruce James wrote at 2015-02-18 20:00:15
My father in law was a master sergeant with the 4165 QMC Depot Company.  According to his discharge papers (para. 26) he departed the US on 16 Dec 1944 for ETO, arriving 22 Jan 1945.   Paragraph 32 states that he served in the Rhineland battle (Battle of the Bulge), codes "GO33 and WD45 as amended" -- what does that mean? On 19 July 1945, his unit left for WPTO arriving on 29 Aug 1945 in the Philippines (per my FIL).  Of course, they arrived just after peace was declared.  He was sent home on 4 Jan 1946.

Richard V. Horrell wrote at 2015-02-19 21:02:56
Dear Sir,

Thank you for your follow-up.  In it you typed "My father in law.......Depot Company."  Thank you so much for sharing that FACT.  Actually, the numerical designation of the unit was the 4165th QM Depot Supply Company.

In the follow-up you typed "According to his discharge.......arriving 22 Jan 1945."  Respectfully, there must be some sort of error.  Voyages from an East Coast Port of Embarkation to the ETO in December 1944 took 8-12 days.  With your dates, the voyage took 37 days

In your follow-up you typed "Paragraph 32 amended".  Since the Ardennes-Alsace Campaign (December 16, 1944-January 15, 1945) does not appear in Box #32, the 4165th QM Depot Supply Company nor any of the soldiers assigned [assigned] to the unit participated in the "Battle of the Bulge".  

In your follow-up you typed "On 19 July 1945, his.......1945 in the Philippines".  That set of dates fit a voyages from Marseilles, France to Manila, Luzon, Philippine Islands via the Straits of Gibraltar, the Panama Canal, Eniwetok & Ulithi Atolls.

In your follow-up you typed "He was sent home on 4 Jan 1946."  Was January 4, 1946 the date the Veteran departed a port in the PTO?

Good Luck with your quest.

Richard V. Horrell

WW 2 Connections

Military History

Richard V. Horrell

Can answer: World War Two. Specifically, the troop transport ships that took US Military Personnel overseas & returned them to the US, 1941-47. Also, unit history of US Army QM, Signal, MP, Ordnance, Medical, Transportation & Engineer units that served during WW 2. The more obscure units are my specialty. If you have the APO that a Veteran sent letters from or received letters at, I can look up the history of that APO.

A lifelong study of WW 2, including participation as a WW 2 Re-enactor, 1980-2002. Also, interviewing over 400 WW 2 Veterans about their role in WW 2.

AASLH, Middle Tennessee Genealogical Society

Over 800 Profiles that I have written for client's about their loved one's role in WW 2.

BA, History & Political Science (19th & 20th Century European History) Webster University, Webster Groves, MO.

Assisting the National Archives on numerous occasions during the 50th Anniversary Commemoration of WW 2, 1991-95.

Respectfully, I do not disclose the names of the clients I deal with. I have a confidentially agreement with them.