Military History/Hospital Ship May 1945

Question
Mr. Horrell,

I am in the process of tracing my grandfather's movements during World War II. Thanks to an recording we have from before he died, I have been able to gather quite a bit of information. I'm currently trying to identify the hospital ship that brought him home from England in May of 1945. He clearly states he was on a hospital ship in the middle of the ocean when he found out about VE Day. He was wounded in Germany in March and I believe he was in the hospital in both Germany and England, so I would assume he sailed out of England. Once he was back in the States, he was sent to a hospital in Tuscaloosa, Alabama until his later discharge.  Any help you can give me would be greatly appreciated.

Thank You.

Answer
Dear Ms.,
       Thank you for your question.  Also, THANK YOU for referring to me as "Mr. Horrell".  Good manners NEVER go out of style.
       In your question you typed "I'm currently trying to identify the hospital ship that brought him home from England in May of 1945."  Alright, I can try to provide you with the FACT(S) you desire.
       In your question you typed "he was on a hospital ship in the middle of the ocean when he found out about VE Day."  While many Veterans who had been WIA returned to the USA via Troop Ships, I will take what you typed literally & only provide FACTS about U.S. Army Hospital Ships on the high seas on May 8, 1945.

Departure Date:   April 30, 1945
Departure Location:   Liverpool, England
Hospital Ship:   USAHS Adela E. Lutz
Arrival Date:   May 12, 1945
Arrival Location:   Charleston, S.C. Port of Embarkation

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Departure Date:   May 2, 1945
Departure Location:   Avonmouth, England
Hospital Ship:   USAHS St. Mihiel
Arrival Date:   __?__?__

Departure Date:   __?__?__
Hospital Ship:   USAHS Ernestine Koranda
Arrival Date:   May 10, 1945

In your question you typed "I believe he was in the hospital in both Germany and England, so I would assume he sailed out of England."  Since I am loathed to "assume" when researching FACTS:

Departure Date:   May 6, 1945
Departure Location:   Marseilles, France
Hospital Ship:   USAHS Blanche F. Sigman
Arrival Date:   May 25, 1945
    via the Straits of Gibraltar

In your question you typed "he was sent to a hospital in Tuscaloosa, Alabama".  Northington General Hospital was built in 1943 to treat Veterans for neurology, plastic surgery, ophthalmoologic surgery, neurosurgery & psychiatry.  
       Since providing you with multiple hospital ships, there is one way to narrow down to one ship.  Please provide me with ALL THE DATES typed in Box #36 on page two of your grandfather's Discharge Documents, WD AGO Form 53-55.  
       Good Luck neighbor, with your quest.

Sincerely,
   Richard V. Horrell
    WW 2 Connections
     2011 Richard Jones Road
      Apt     E 26
       Nashville   TN   37215-2837

Military History

Richard V. Horrell