Military History/L-4 Liaison Planes

Question
Piper
Piper  
Dear Mr. Vargas,

I'm wondering if you can help me identify the Army Air Force unit that supported my father's field artillery battalion with two liaison planes. It is my understanding that the liaison planes and their pilots were not members of the Army outfit they supported, but rather, members of the Army Air Force attached to that unit. The spotters who flew with the pilots were, however, members of the supported unit, correct?

I believe the planes were Piper L-4s (see attached photo). I do not know it for a fact, but I believe the plane in the photo is most likely one of the two. Can please please confirm the airplane model from the photo?

The unit supported was the 243rd Field Artillery Battalion (8 inch gun), ETO, US 3rd Army. The pilots were Lieutenants Charles H. Brockmeyer and Vernon W. Lamoureaux.

Your help is greatly appreciated,

Mike Semenock
Snohomish, WA

Answer
Hello Mike,

Yes, the Liaison Plane in the photos is an L-4 Grasshopper, the militarized version of the J-3 Piper Cub.

Here is more information on the J-3 Piper Cub / L-4 Grasshopper.

http://www.warbirdalley.com/l4.htm

http://www.fiddlersgreen.net/models/aircraft/Piper-L4-Grasshopper.html

Lieutenant Charles (Chas) H. Brockmeyer, was an Artillery Officer who supplied the photos of the "Battle Diary: The Story Of The 243rd Field Artillery Battalion In Combat (1946)"- By Frank Smith Illustrated, Photo By Chas H Brockmeyer

https://archive.org/details/BattleDiary

https://archive.org/stream/BattleDiary/BattleDiary_djvu.txt

Most units that had Liaison Planes, especially the for Artillery…the Liaison planes were assigned to the units just like jeeps were and treated as such.

The pilots who flew them were both Enlisted and Officers, more often than not they were Enlisted Men, but as you can see in this case they were Officers and a majority of them were Combat Arms Officers of the units they were assigned to, in this case they were Artillery Officers.

Here is this history of the Liaison Pilots:

http://en.allexperts.com/q/Military-History-669/2010/10/Liason-Pilots.htm

If the links do not allow you to click on them directly, cut and paste them into a new browser.

I hope that I have been able to answer your questions. If you have any more questions, please feel free to contact me and I would me more than happy to answer them.

John

Military History

John Vargas