Military History/U.S. Army WW2 MOS training/unit histories

QUESTION: Dear Mr. Sutton, Hello! I have a couple of questions I could use some help with. My father was in the US Army, WW2. He was assigned to the 43rd Infantry Division During the Luzon Campaign, and left sometime in Aug.? 1945, Arriving in Japan sometime in September 1945. From there he was transferred to HHB 271st FA Battalion, 1st Calvary Division. My first question is on MOS training. Was there OJT training during this time period? The reason I ask is it lists my father as Survey and Instrument Man, MOS #228. If he was m, do you know what training center trained field Artillery? His training Was Basic, arrived Camp Joseph T. Robinson, AR. 23 Dec.1944. From there, he said he went to Maryland for training. Base unknown and no paperwork for that. It also lists Army MOS #814-"Operations chief" while with 271st FA Battalion, 1st Calvary Div., Camp Drake Japan, Although on his qualification record, under schools attended, it says none. I would greatly appreciate any light you could shed on this confusion. My other question is do you know what the 271st FA battalion occupation duties may have been during that period? It states he was S-2/S-3 sections while with the 271st. He has passed away, and would never speak of his time, as many of that period didn't . He left Camp Drake 10Sept.1946 to CONUS. On terminal leave 16 Oct.1946. Discharged Technical Sergeant-- I believe the SFC today. Many thanks in Advance for your time and consideration! Best Regards, Mark

ANSWER: Greetings

Indeed there was OTJ training in the US Army at that time.  Typically a soldier would be assigned under a more experienced soldier to learn, then reading material and finally then take a a series of tests to qualify for a new job or MOS.  In Maryland the Aberdeen Test Center was a major center for artillery training; this is most likely where your Father trained.  In Japan the unit continued to train with artillery but had other duties such as search for hard line Japanese government and military officials.  S2/S3 was Intel and operations so he may have been searching for missing POW s, technology that the Japanese was developing,  and keeping the populace under control.

I hope this helps and check out the link

Thank you

QUESTION: Dear Sir, I thank you for your help! It is greatly appreciated! This makes a bit of sense. He was  T/5. The old technician system. Then to SSgt, Then Technical sergeant. I assume he would have trained under an officer/other NCO for Intelligence? I assume this was easier during that period of time to adjust for the needs of each unit? When I asked my father what he did in Japan, he told me he was waiting to go home, almost as if in a casual status. On the back of his seperation qualification record, as I mentioned it does not mention basic training, or in the block @other schools attended" it states none. I assume a poor company clerk? Under job description of MOS 814, it states "supervised the work of 8 men in S2/S3 sections HHB,271st FA battalion in Japan. Investigated and made reports on the disposition of Japaneese materials and equipment and civilian and enemy attitude and moral. Made out reports on training programs, Made out training schedules." I appreciate the link you gave me to Aberdeen Proving Ground! Lastly, do you have any advice as to specifically what the 271st FA battalion may have performed for Occupation duties? Any advice would be greatly appreciated! Thank you for your time and help, Sir! Best Regards, Mark

NCOs were typically trained under another NCO.  NCOs typically trained officers but that depended on the job  Some times an Officer would train NCO when specialized training was needed such as on new technology or for special missions. From the report you have he kept an inventory of Japanese military equipment.  From this information higher ups would determine if anything was salvageable or needed to be destroyed. Also he spied on the locals to see if they were a threat.  Making out training schedules to keep the troops up to date on using the artillery equipment they had was also a very important job. The training would come in handy during the Korean conflict.  I wish I had more specific information but the below links might help.  Also the 271 once in Japan was under the the 1st Calvary division.  You might want to dig into the 1st Calvary division history.

I hope this helps and Thank You.

Military History

Paul Sutton

I can answer questions on World War Two weapons, tactics, and strategy. I can answer questions on Weapons systems and their development. I can answer guestions on Space exploration history. I am a World War 2 expert. I study Military Weapons Systems and the usage of those systems.

I work for Saint Petersburg College as a TRS or Technology resources specialist. I read 10 to 15 books a year on World War 2 and weapon systems. I also have a BA in History from USF.

I have a BA in history from USF.