Military History/WW 2 Family History

Question
QUESTION: Richard:

I am attempting to recovery information on my father, Walter Hartman and his 5 brothers, all of whom served in the Army during WWII.  I requested his military records, but apparently these have been lost to a fire some years ago.  I have his muster out paperwork.  Uncle Ruben Hartman was killed in the Battle of the Bulge and is buried with Patton in Luxemburg.  I have visited the cemetery, it takes your breath away to see the number of graves.  Anyway, what/where do I go to get more information?  I would also like to trace their movements in Europe.  Supposedly the deceased uncle and one of his brothers crossed paths at some point.  Finally, my dad had several different ranks and 2 purple hearts and I would like to know some specifics.  Look forward to your reply.  Thanks!

Byron Hartman

ANSWER: Dear Mr. Hartman,
       Thank you for your question.  In it you typed "I am attempting to.......his muster out paperwork."  Since you have a copy of page two of your father's WD AGO Form 53-55, please provide me with the FACTS typed in Box #6, #32, #33 & #36 on page two.  That will then provide me with the unit your father was assigned [assigned] to prior to either V-E Day or V-J Day.
       In your question you typed "Uncle Ruben Hartman was killed in the Battle of the Bulge and is buried with Patton in Luxemburg [sic]."  PFC Ruben B. Hartman, 2nd Infantry Regiment, 5th Infantry Division was KIA February 28, 1945.  The Ardennes-Alsace Campaign ended January 15, 1945.
       In your question you typed "Anyway, what/where do I go to get more information?"  Your uncle's I.D.P.F. (Individual Deceased Personnel File) is located at Fort Knox, Kentucky.
       In your question you typed "my dad had several different ranks and 2 purple hearts and I would like to know some specifics."  I suggest you obtain the unit records, which are located at Carlisle, PA.  As to "2 purple hearts" don't you mean one Purple Heart Medal & one Oak Leaf Custer to indicate a second award?
       Good Luck with your quest.

Richard V. Horrell
   WW 2 Connections

QUESTION: Richard:

Thanks for the information, more in a couple paragraphs than I've gotten in several years of looking.  Couple of questions/comments:

- I will get my dad's information to you as a follow-up.
- I assume the IDPF file would give the campaign in which he was KIA since it was not at the Ardennes-Alsace Campaign.  
- Is there specific contact group/name/address at Fort Knox, Kentucky for the IDPF?
- Is there specific contact group/name/address at Carlisle, PA for unit records?
- Any further information as to how to find records for the other brothers?
 Alex Hartman
 Henry Hartman
 William Hartman
 Adam Hartman

I really appreciated your response.  I would like to put the whole picture together as to WWII specifics for the 6 brothers for the current relatives.

Byron Hartman

Answer
Dear Sir,
       Thak you for your follow-up.  PFC Ruben B. Hartman was KIA during the Rhineland Campaign, September 15, 1944-March 21, 1945.
       In your follow-up you typed "Is there specific contact.......for the I.D.P.F.?"  Yes.  Send your letter-of-request to:

Department of the Army
U.S. Army Human Resource Command
 ATTN:   AHRC-FOIA
  1600 Spearhead Division Avenue   Dept. 107
   Fort Knox   KY   40122-5504

In your letter-of-request, include the following EXACTLY as I have typed it here:

Name:   Ruben B. Hartman

Rank:   Private, First Class

Serial Number:   6835339

Entered Service From:   Calumet County, Wisconsin

Unit:   2nd Infantry Regiment, 5th Infantry Division

Date K.I.A.:   February 28, 1945

In your follow-up you typed "Is there specific contact.......for unit records?"  Yes.  Send your letter-of-request to:

U.S. Army Heritage & Education Center
950 Soldiers Drive
 Carlisle   PA   17013

In your follow-up you typed "Any further information.......the other brothers?"  If they survived WW 2, the same process you are following for your father.
       Good Luck with your quest.

Richard V. Horrell
   WW 2 Connections

Military History

Richard V. Horrell