Military History/ww2 japanese sword

I have this sword I bought from a man who claimed to have picked it up in japan. He was told it was a pilot's sword. I've spent alot of time loooking it up and couln't find a sword like it. I was hoping to get some help identifying it so I can learn more about what I have. It would be greatly appreciated!

When did the man claim to get the sword?  Most swords were brought back by Gis mainly from the Philippines and some occupation troops did bring home some swords.  Around 1 million swords came to the US after World War 2 and most were machine made.  With the serial number on your blade I would have to say machine made but the scabbard and handle are unique.  It is possible a family blade had broken and a officer had a machine blade fitted to it.  This is a rare piece and I would have a sword smith look at it.  I have included some websites that can help and get you a more accurate description..  I my opinion you have a machine made katana blade but with a unique handle and scabbard.

Thank you

Military History

Paul Sutton

I can answer questions on World War Two weapons, tactics, and strategy. I can answer questions on Weapons systems and their development. I can answer guestions on Space exploration history. I am a World War 2 expert. I study Military Weapons Systems and the usage of those systems.

I work for Saint Petersburg College as a TRS or Technology resources specialist. I read 10 to 15 books a year on World War 2 and weapon systems. I also have a BA in History from USF.

I have a BA in history from USF.