Military History/771st Tank Battalion

QUESTION: I am looking for any info on my grandfathers time in the service as I have almost none. I recently received a copy of a certificate of merit awarded to him for the time 28th February to 5th March 1945. Do you have any info on what he might of been involved in at that time and also anything else or leads I could use to begin my research on him.
His name was Henry I. Globstad
Thanksfor any help you can give.

ANSWER: Dear sir,
       Thank you for your question.  In it you typed "I recently received a copy of a certificate of merit awarded to him for the time 28th February to 5th March 1945."  Would you be so kind as to provide me with the source of the "certificate of merit" awarded to your grandfather?
       In your question you typed "Do you have any info on what he might have been involved in at that time"?  No FACTS, what-so-ever.  You may wish to read:

The History of the 771st Tank Battalion
by Edwin Castagna
Berkeley          Lederer, Street & Zeuc Company        1946

In your question you typed "leads I could use to begin my research on him."  Of course the obvious, your grandfather's four page Discharge Documents (WD AGO Form 53-55).  In addition, the following FACTS are per the 771st Tank Battalion, NOT your grandfather:

Rhineland          September 15, 1944-March 21, 1945
Ardennes-Alsace    December 16, 1944-January 15, 1945
Central Europe     March 22-May 8, 1945

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Army of Occupation        Germany        May 2-October 30, 1945

Departure Date:   August 18, 1944
Departure Location:   Boston Port of Embarkation
Troop Ship:   USS Mount Vernon  AP-22
Arrival Date:   August 25, 1944
Arrival Location:   Liverpool, England
    6,006 Troops onboard

Attached (attached) to the:

102nd Infantry Division, November 4-December 20, 1944

84th Infantry Division, December 20, 1944-March 22, 1945

84th Infantry Division, April 2-June 30, 1945

Good Luck with your quest.

Richard V. Horrell
    WW 2 Connections

QUESTION: The certificate of merit for Henry I Globstad is from the European Theater of Operations US Army.It is for conspicuously meritorious and outstanding performance of military duties. It was  signed by A. R. Bolling Major General

Dear sir,
       Thank you for your follow-up.  My apology for the poor wording of my question to you.  My desire was to learn from whom YOU obtained "a copy of a certificate of merit" in the 21st Century.  
       Major General Alexander R. Bolling was the Commanding Officer of the 84th Infantry Division while serving in the E.T.O., 1944-45.  
       From a roster I have of the 771st Tank Battalion, Corporal Henry I. Globstad (Union, Montana) was assigned (assigned) to Company D, 771st Tank Battalion & participated in the Rhineland, Ardennes-Alsace & Central Europe Campaigns in the E.T.O., 1944-45.
       Good Luck with your quest.

Richard V. Horrell
    WW 2 Connections

Military History

Richard V. Horrell

Can answer: World War Two. Specifically, the troop transport ships that took US Military Personnel overseas & returned them to the US, 1941-47. Also, unit history of US Army QM, Signal, MP, Ordnance, Medical, Transportation & Engineer units that served during WW 2. The more obscure units are my specialty. If you have the APO that a Veteran sent letters from or received letters at, I can look up the history of that APO.

A lifelong study of WW 2, including participation as a WW 2 Re-enactor, 1980-2002. Also, interviewing over 400 WW 2 Veterans about their role in WW 2.

AASLH, Middle Tennessee Genealogical Society

Over 800 Profiles that I have written for client's about their loved one's role in WW 2.

BA, History & Political Science (19th & 20th Century European History) Webster University, Webster Groves, MO.

Assisting the National Archives on numerous occasions during the 50th Anniversary Commemoration of WW 2, 1991-95.

Respectfully, I do not disclose the names of the clients I deal with. I have a confidentially agreement with them.