Military History/Honorable Discharge

Question
Mr.  Horrell, how would I go about applying for my uncles Army discharge papers?  He served from June 12, 1945 to February 27, 1947.

Thank you for your time.

Gerry Scaringi

Answer
Good Day,
       Thank you for your question.  Also, THANK YOU for referring to me as "Mr. Horrell".  Good manners NEVER go out-of-style.
       In your question you typed "how would I go about applying for my uncles Army discharge papers?"  You would do so by contacting your uncle & asking him for a copy.
       When your uncle was discharged from the US Army on "February 27, 1947" he was provided with 6-10 copies of his Discharge Documents (WD AGO Form 53-55).  Where are those 6-10 copies that your uncle had in his hands on "February 27, 1947"?
       Upon discharge, your uncle was encouraged to register a copy of his Discharge Documents at the Court House of the county he would reside in after his discharge.  Discharge Documents are in the Public Domain, so anyone may obtain a photocopy of an individual's Discharge Documents, IF (in this case) your uncle did register a copy of his Discharge Documents (WD AGO Form 53-55).  Contact the Court House of the county that your uncle resided in after he was discharged from the US Army, "February 27, 1947".
       Sorry to be morbid, but the odds are your uncle has passed away.  With his papers for when he would pass away was a copy (one of those 6-10 copies) of his Discharge Documents (WD AGO Form 53-55). This was to be provided to the Funeral Home that would handle the arrangements.  The Funeral Home would then provide a photocopy to the VA (Veteran's Administration) so that the VA could help offset the cost of your uncle's burial & headstone.  Contact the Funeral Home that handled your uncle's arrangements.
       Your uncle would have provided a copy of his Discharge Documents to potential employers.  Contact the employers your uncle applied to during his life after "February 27, 1947".
       If your uncle was ever a member of the American Legion &/or the Veterans of Foreign Wars, he would have provided a copy of his Discharge Documents to either of these organizations.  Visit the American Legion Post or VFW Port nearest to where your uncle resided, to see if he was ever a member of either organization.  Just because he may have not been a member of THAT post does not mean he was never a member of either organization.  Ask for the organization's National HQ, to see if the National HQ has a copy of your uncle's Discharge Documents (WD AGO Form 53-55) on file.
       I would also make every member of your family aware of what you are looking for.  Your uncle had 6-10 copies, yet this reply has not accounted for that entire quantity.  The more people that know what you are looking for, the better the odds of your success.  Have you spoken to any of your uncle's children &/or grandchildren?
       One more point.  You may encounter the term "DD-214" in your quest.  The term "DD-214" is a POST-WW 2 term for what you are looking for.  The term "DD-214" is incorrect for what you are seeking, but unfortunately common usage has corrupted the clarity of the issue.  A FYI that may be of assistance to you.
       Good luck with your quest.

Respectfully,
   Richard V. Horrell
    WW 2 Connections

Military History

Richard V. Horrell