Military History/In response to your 5-31-2015 answer for Pvt Jack Thronhill

Question
Dear Mr. Horrell,  My father Leonard Johnson was in the 43 div 169 Inf. Co E. Shot in the leg in New Guinea by a sniper and then on Jan 23, 1945 suffered a concussion when a grenade was thrown into a foxhole he was sharing with two other men on Luzon. (He was the man in the middle and the men on either side of him were killed.) I have several pictures of PVT Thornhill along with other members of my dad's co that he sent home to my mother. (also have a lot of KIA next to the names).  If the person who inquired about Pvt Thornhill would like to contact me I would be happy to send them along. Please feel free to provide that person with my e-mail address.  I too am trying to piece together my fathers service. Like so many others who came home he hardly spoke about the war and then with the fire there have been no records for me to try to research. In 1965 when my father passed away an officer asked my mother if she would like his bronze star listed on the stone.  We had no idea that he received a bronze star or what it was for. I would like to know how I could find out about the bronze star my dad received  (and any other medals as we only have his purple heart and a good conduct medal)  and how I could find the names of the two men who were killed on either side of him in the foxhole on Luzon as I believe it is possible that I have had their names and picture all these years and never knew it. A nod and a big THANK YOU Mr. Horrell for sharing your guidance and knowledge with those of us who are trying to fill in the blanks in the history of our friends and loved ones!
LINDA

Answer
Dear Ms.,
       Thank you for your question.  Also, THANK YOU for referring to me as "Mr. Horrell".  Good manners NEVER go out-of-style!
       In your question you typed "If the person who inquired.......to send them along."  I cannot assist you with contacting said individual, only AllExperts can do so.
       In your question you typed "Please feel free to provide that person with my e-mail address."  Respectfully, I do NOT have your e-mail address.  Only AllExperts has, & I am only a volunteer assisting AllExperts.
       In your question you typed "with the fire there have been no records for me to try to research."  Correct, your father's personnel file was destroyed in "the fire" in July 1973.  However, what about the unit records?  Since you know that your father was assigned [assigned] to Company E, 169th Infantry Regiment (Connecticut National Guard) prior to September 2, 1945, why not "try to research" the unit records.
       In your question you typed "In 1965 when my father passe away an officer asked my mother if she would like his bronze star listed on the stone."  What was the source the "officer" had available to him that your father had been awarded a Bronze Star Medal for Valor?  Who provided that "officer" with that source?
       In your question you typed "I would like to know how I could find out about the bronze star my dad received".  The unit records for the 169th Infantry Regiment (Connecticut Nation Guard) would contain those FACTS.
       In your question you typed "and any other medals as we only have his purple heart and a good conduct medal".  What is typed in Box #33 on page two of your father's Discharge Documents (WD AGO Form 53-55)?  
       In your question you typed "how I could find the names of the two men who were killed on either side of him in the foxhole on Luzon".  If the men rest overseas, it could be one of the following:

S/Sgt. Harry L. Fraker
PFC Leo Goodwin
PFC John O'Loughlin
PFC Bernard Suchy
Sgt. Robert Trout
PFC John Walters
Pvt. Maurice Wickman

If the men rest here in the USA, I have no way to assist you with their names, other than the unit records.
       Good luck with your quest.

Respectfully,
   Richard V. Horrell
    WW 2 Connections

Military History

Richard V. Horrell