Military History/255th Military Police Company, WW 2

Question
Photo of MP CO. Ft. Riley
Photo of MP CO. Ft. Ri  
Father discharge document states: PFC, 255 MP CO 1945. Discharged Ft. Sheridan, IL. Father member of 2nd Platoon, Co. A, 26th Battalion. Ft. Riley Kansas, May 6, 43'. He served in England, I believe in London, with the 255th. 43'--45'. I read an oral history of the 255th and their time in England as related by a member of the Co. from WI. This is the internet location of that Oral History.

http://www.wisvetsmuseum.com/collections/oral_history/transcriptions/P/Purcell,%(OH%20327).pdf

I have searched the internet in an attempt to learn more about the 255th, their history and time in WWII. Were they a part of a MP Command and if so which one.

Any information as to this CO. would be appreciated.

Answer
Dear Sir,
       Thank you for your question.  In it you typed "255 MP CO".  I am familiar with the 255th Military Police Company, that served in Great Britain during WW 2.  From your father's "discharge document" would you be so kind as to provide me with ALL THE DATES typed in Box #36 on page two of your father's Discharge Documents (WD AGO Form 53-55)?
       In your question you typed "2nd Platoon, Co. A, 26th Battalion."  Please clarify for me, are you researching the unit your father trained with, or the unit your father was assigned [assigned] to while overseas prior to May 8, 1945?
       In your question you typed "I read an oral history of the 255th and their time in England as related by a member of the Co."  So this was an oral history of the Veteran & his wartime experiences, who just happened to have been assigned [assigned] to the 255th MP Company?
       In your question you typed "I have searched the internet in an attempt to learn more about the 255th".  My opinion of the internet for FACTS about specific US Military Units activated during WW 2 is virtually nil.  May I suggest that IF you desire FACTS, you obtain the unit records of the 255th MP Company.  The unit records are located at:

US Army Heritage & Education Center
950 Soldiers Drive
 Carlisle   PA   17013

In your question you typed "Were they a part of an MP Command?  No.  The 255th MP Company was assigned [assigned] to HQ, Theater Service Forces (Army Service Forces) from which the 255th was awarded a Meritorious Unit Commendation for the period April 1 - October 29, 1944.  General Order #251, the award was presented September 16, 1945.
       Good Luck with your quest.

Respectfully,
   Richard V. Horrell
    WW 2 Connections  

Military History

Richard V. Horrell