Military History/750th Engineer Heavy Shop Company in WW 2

Question
Discharge and Seperation
Discharge and Seperati  
Honorable Discharge
Honorable Discharge  
QUESTION: I am researching this for a friend and his family who want to know about their fathers experience in WWII. Their father has passed away without telling them about his wartime activities. The attached documents are all they were able to provide to me. They do not have any of his medals or citations.

To further expand my research, I would be interested in knowing if the 750th has a veterans association or heritage society.

I thank you in advance for your expertise.

Ed

ANSWER: Dear Sir,
       Thank you for your question.  In it you typed "The attached documents are all they were able to provide me."  The "attached documents" are page one & page three of the Veteran's Discharge Documents.  Usually page one & page two are provided, so this is a bit atypical.  Page two has 57 rectangular boxes, each numbered & titled.  If you would be so kind as to see if the family of the Veteran has page two available, the FACTS contained are of far greater importance than page one.  Page three is an added bonus, THANK YOU!!!
       In your question you typed "I would be interested in knowing if the 750th has a veterans association or heritage society."  None to my knowledge.
       The 750th Engineer Heavy Shop Company participated in one Campaign in the E.T.O. 1944-45:

Rhineland:   September 15, 1944-March 21, 1945

as well as the Army of Occupation, Japan, September 15, 1945-January 20, 1946.
       I will EAGERLY await the status of page two of the Veteran's Discharge Documents.
       Good Luck with your quest.

Respectfully,
   Richard V. Horrell
    WW 2 Connections

reverse of Discharge
reverse of Discharge  
QUESTION: I have now correctly attached the page 2 of this veterans Discharge document.

ANSWER: Dear Sir,
       Thank you for your follow-up.  Also, THANK YOU for attaching a scan of page two of the Veteran's Discharge Documents (WD AGO Form 53-55).  From the document I have gleaned the following FACTS:  The Commanding Officer of the 750th Engineer Heavy Shop Company was 1st Lt. J.A. Campbell.
       During WW 2, the function of an Engineer Heavy Shop Company was:

"6 Officers, 165 Enlisted Men.  A semi-mobile unit, the heavy shop company performed fourth echelon maintenance on all equipment for which the Corps of Engineers had maintenance responsibility.  Fourth echelon maintenance included rebuilding a unit's equipment, overhauling the attachments and accessories, doing emergency overhaul of major units, and recovering equipment from the battlefield, reclaiming, and salvaging it."

As to Box #36 on page two of the Veteran's Discharge Documents:

Departure Date:   April 20, 1944
Departure Location:   New York Port of Embarkation
Troop Ship:   RMS Queen Elizabeth
Arrival Date:   April 26, 1944
Arrival Location:   Gourock, Scotland
    13,021 Troops onboard

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

I am a STRONG advocate for the use of Discharge Documents to begin ACCURATE historic research.  The Veteran had an opportunity to read the documents over for accuracy, then signed the documents indicating accuracy.  Having typed that, I (reluctantly) have an issue with the dates "7 AUG 45 WRTO 1 SEPT 45".  Troop ships departing Marseilles, France on or about August 7, 1945, were almost all diverted when they arrived at the Panama Canal, to either the New York or Boston Ports of Embarkation, generally arriving August 18 or 19, 1945.  When hostilities ceased in the PTO on August 14, 1945, troop ships were diverted to bring the troops home ASAP.  Those few troop ships that did continue to Okinawa arrived mid September 1945.
       Now then, if you change the date "7 AUG 45" to July 7, 1945, you have the following:

Departure Date:   July 7, 1945
Departure Location:   Marseilles, France
Troop Ship:   USS General H.W. Butner  AP-113
Arrival Date:   September 1, 1945
Arrival Location:   Okinawa
    via the Straits of Gibraltar, the Panama Canal, Eniwetok & Ulithi Atolls

PLEASE,PLEASE, PLEASE understand that I could be in error, & if so I will apologize profusely.  AllExperts & I prefer to deal only in FACTS, so please understand the context of what I have typed.

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
Departure Date:   December 30, 1945
Departure Location:   Okinawa
Troop Ship:   USS Hamblen  APA-114
Arrival Date:   January 17, 1946
Arrival Location:   Tacoma, Washington Port of Embarkation

Good Luck with your quest.

Respectfully,
   Richard V. Horrell
    WW 2 Connections  

QUESTION: Thank you for a very interesting response. When I first read the Separation Report I thought how interesting that Pvt. Bo's departure from the ETO fell between the dropping of the two atomic bombs. I tend to believe your conclusion about the month of departure. It's only speculation on my part but packing up to leave Okinawa probably required quite a bit of manpower so this may have been what occupied Pvt. Bo in the last four months of his service.

Do you know if their is a unit history available anywhere? As for the Ardennes I wonder since the Germans overran our lines in the initial stages of the Battle of the Bulge, did the men of Bo's company end up engaging the enemy?

If my friend is able to get replacement medals he might want to do what I did to honor my own father and make a shadow box display that includes his fathers unit patch. Do you happen to know what that looked like?

Ed

Answer
Dear Sir,
       Thank you for your follow-up.  In it you typed "Pvt."  The Veteran was a T-5 (Technician 5th Grade)pay was $66.00 per month.
       In your follow-up you typed "Do you know if there is a unit history available anywhere?"  None ever published, to my knowledge.
       In your follow-up you typed "his father's unit patch.  Do you happen to know what that looked like?"  For the ETO, The Communication Zone (COMM Z) for the PTO, I have no idea.
       Good Luck with your quest.

Respectfully,
   Richard V. Horrell
    WW 2 Connections

Military History

Richard V. Horrell