Military History/483rd Military Police Escort Guard Company

Question
QUESTION: Can you provide me with any information on the 343rd MPEG during WWII?  My grandfathers discharge papers say this is the unit he served with during WWII.

ANSWER: Dear Sir,
       Thank you for your question.  In it you typed "Can you provide me with any information on the 343rd MPEG during WWII."  The 343rd Military Police Escort Guard Company participated in no Campaigns during WW 2 (September 1, 1939-September 2, 1945) but did serve with the Army of Occupation in Japan, October 15, 1945-January 20, 1946.
       In your question you typed "My grandfathers discharge papers say this is the unit he served with during WWII."  If the 343rd Military Police Escort Guard Company is the unit typed in Box #6 on page two of your grandfather's Discharge Documents (WD AGO Form 53-55), that was the unit your grandfather was assigned [assigned] to when he was discharged from the US Army.  Sometimes the unit typed in Box #6 is the unit the Veteran was assigned [assigned] to prior to V-E Day or V-J Day, sometimes not.  Would you be so kind as to provide me with ALL THE FACTS typed in Box #32, Box #33 & Box #36 on page two of your grandfather's Discharge Documents (WD AGO Form 53-55).  With those FACTS we may be able to determine for certain the unit your grandfather was assigned [assigned] to.
       Good Luck with your quest.

Respectfully,
   Richard V. Horrell
    WW 2 Connections

QUESTION: Richard,
     I want to thank you for your quick response.  With the information you gave me I misread my grandfathers paperwork.  His unit was the 483RD MPEG Co.  The rest of the information you requested is as follows:

Block #6: 483rd MPEG Co.

Block #32: Central Europe, Rhineland  GO33 WD45 as amended

Block #33: Philippines Liberation Ribbon, American Service Medal, Asiatic-Pacific Service Medal, European-African-Middle Eastern Service Medal, Good Conduct Medal

Block#36: 24 Jun 44 ETO  5 Jul 44
         26 Aug 44 USA  5 Sep 44
         20 Sep 44 ETO 26 Sep 44
         17 Jul 45 USA 20 Aug 45    

I am sorry about the misinformation I first sent.  I hope that with this information you will be able to help me.  My grandfather (as expected) never spoke of the war.  I am a WWII buff and just wanted to know where he was and what he did.  I thank you very much in advance!!

Jim

Answer
Dear Sir,
       Thank you for your follow-up.  In it you typed "I misread".  I acknowledge what you have typed.
       In your follow-up you typed "483RD MPEG Co."  The 483rd Military Police Escort Guard Company participated in three Campaigns in the E.T.O., 1944-45.  They are:

Rhineland          September 15, 1944-March 21, 1945
Ardennes-Alsace    December 16, 1944-January 15, 1945
Central Europe     March 22-May 8, 1945

as well as the Army of Occupation, Germany, May 2-July 4, 1945.
       The following are all the FACTS I have on the four voyages listed in Box #36 on page two of your grandfather's Discharge Documents (WD AGO Form 53-55):

Departure Date:   June 24, 1944
Departure Location:   New York Port of Embarkation
Troop Ship:   RMS Largs Bay
Arrival Date:   July 5, 1944
Arrival Location:   Gourock, Scotland

This was the voyage that transported your grandfather to the E.T.O. for the first time.

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Departure Date:   August 26, 1944
Departure Location:   Liverpool, England
Troop Ship:   15 of them, transporting Axis POWs to North America
Arrival Date:   September 5, 1944
Arrival Location:   New York Port of Embarkation

Please send me your mailing address via First Class USPS & I will send you the convoy list via First Class USPS

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Departure Date:   September 20, 1944
Troop Ship:   RMS Queen Mary
Arrival Date:   September 25, 1944
Arrival Location:   Gourock, Scotland
    8,884 Troops onboard, including the Prime Minister of Great Britain & his staff

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Departure Date:   July 17, 1945
Departure Location:   Marseilles, France
Troop Ship:   USS Admiral W.S. Benson  AP-120
Arrival Date:   August 20, 1945
Arrival Location:   San Fernando, Luzon, Philippine Islands
    via the Straits of Gibraltar, the Panama Canal (7/27-28/1945) & Ulithi Atoll (8/15-16/1945)

Too bad the dates of your grandfather's voyage home from the Philippine Islands to a West Coast Port of Embarkation were not provided.
       Good Luck with your quest.

Respectfully,
   Richard V. Horrell
    WW 2 Connections
     2011 Richard Jones Road
      Apt.      E 26
       Nashville   TN   37215-2837

Military History

Richard V. Horrell