Military History/Replacing info destroyed by fire

I am starting from ground zero. My husband's grandfather, Frank Leo Frazier, was in WWII. He served one tour that I know of over seas. He passed in 1989 leaving all of his military information, awards, and medals to his son (my father-in-law). Years later his son's house caught on fire destroying everything in it including Frank's military stuff. I am trying to replace all of his medals, awards, and any other information I can get. I plan on doing a shadow box with all of his medals and possible his unit patches with dates and such on it. After 2 months of trying, I was finally able to get my hands on his WD form. Do you know of any websites that I can research the patches, awards, etc using his WD? I do know that he received a purple heart and those have serial numbers. Is there a place to request a new one? thank you very much for any information you can provide for me. I can scan the WD to you if that will help.

Dear Ms.,
       Thank you for your question.  In it you typed "After 2 months of trying, I was finally able to get my hands on his WD form."  Respectfully, I am not sure what a "WD form" is.  Are you referring to your grandfather-in-law's four page Discharge Documents (WD AGO Form 53-55)?  If so, GREAT, you now have FACTS to begin "doing a shadow box".
       In your question you typed "Do you know of any websites that I can research the patches, awards, etc using his WD?"  No websites, only books.  Websites provide information, books provide FACTS.
       In your question you typed "I do know that he received a purple heart".  The FACTS about the Purple Heart would be typed in Box #33 & Box #34 of your grandfather-in-law's Discharge Documents (WD AGO Form 53-55).
       In your question you typed "I can scan the WD to you if that will help."  Please photocopy the "WD form" then send the photocopy to me via First Class USPS.  Please be sure to include your e-mail address for ease of response.  I will be my pleasure to share with you any FACTS I glean from the "WD form".
       Good Luck with your quest.

Richard V. Horrell
    WW 2 Connections
     2011 Richard Jones Road
      Apt.      E 26
       Nashville   TN   37215-2837  

Military History

Richard V. Horrell

Can answer: World War Two. Specifically, the troop transport ships that took US Military Personnel overseas & returned them to the US, 1941-47. Also, unit history of US Army QM, Signal, MP, Ordnance, Medical, Transportation & Engineer units that served during WW 2. The more obscure units are my specialty. If you have the APO that a Veteran sent letters from or received letters at, I can look up the history of that APO.

A lifelong study of WW 2, including participation as a WW 2 Re-enactor, 1980-2002. Also, interviewing over 400 WW 2 Veterans about their role in WW 2.

AASLH, Middle Tennessee Genealogical Society

Over 800 Profiles that I have written for client's about their loved one's role in WW 2.

BA, History & Political Science (19th & 20th Century European History) Webster University, Webster Groves, MO.

Assisting the National Archives on numerous occasions during the 50th Anniversary Commemoration of WW 2, 1991-95.

Respectfully, I do not disclose the names of the clients I deal with. I have a confidentially agreement with them.