Military History/WW 2 Italy Salerno Reserves

Question
My father (William A. Royle, Jr.) joined the 36th Division, 142 Regiment, 3rd Battalion on October 9th while the unit was retraining and regrouping in Salerno.  He was in the 1st replacement depot from July 30 when he arrived in Africa.  I am wondering when he and the other replacements left Africa.  Did they leave with the other units on September 3rd or did they stay behind in Africa and leave for Italy later?

Answer
Dear Sir,
       Thank you for your question.  In it you typed that your father "joined the 36th Division, 142 Regiment, 3rd Battalion on October 9th" 1943.  I am familiar with the 142nd Infantry Regiment (Texas National Guard) an organic element of the 36th Infantry Division (Texas National Guard).  The 3rd Battalion, 142nd Infantry Regiment (Texas National Guard) made an amphibious assault onto RED Beach, Paestum, Italy, September 9, 1943.
       In your question you typed "He was in the 1st replacement depot from July 30" 1943.  The 1st Replacement Depot was located at Canastel, Oran, Algeria, North Africa on July 30, 1943.
       In your question you typed "I was wondering when he and the other replacements left Africa."  The replacements departed North Africa when needed to replace casualties sustained by the 142nd Infantry Regiment (Texas National Guard) during Operation AVALANCHE.
       In your question you typed "Did they leave with the other units on September 3rd" 1943?  No.  There would be no need to have replacements waiting upon difficult to obtain troop ships for 35 days (your time span, "September 3rd" & "October 9th") in the Gulf of Salerno, when it was only a 3-4 day voyage from Oran to the Gulf of Salerno.
       In your question you typed "did they stay behind in Africa and leave for Italy later?"  Yes.
       Would you be so kind as to provide me with ALL THE DATES typed in Box #36 on page two of your father's Discharge Documents (WD AGO Form 53-55)?
       Good luck with your quest.

Respectfully,
   Richard V. Horrell
    WW 2 Connections  

Military History

Richard V. Horrell