Military History/633rd Ordnance Ammunition Company

Question
Dear Sir:  My father's discharge papers say he was in 633rd ordnance company (ammunition).  I would like to know what division or regiment or battalion this company was in.  I'm interested in getting a history of the division for example.  I don't think there is a history written on the company level.  Thank you!

Answer
Dear Ms.,
       Thank you for your question.  In it you typed "My father's discharge papers say he was in 633rd ordnance company".  If that particular numerical designation is typed in Box #6 on page two of your father's Discharge Documents (WD AGO Form 53-55) that was the unit your father was assigned [assigned] to when he was discharged from the US Army.  It may have been the unit your father was assigned [assigned] to prior to May 8, 1945, or it may not have been.  The 633rd Ordnance Ammunition Company participated in the following Campaigns:

Normandy          June 6-July 24, 1944
Northern France   July 25-September 14, 1944
Rhineland         September 15, 1944-March 21, 1945
Central Europe    March 22-May 8, 1945

as well as the Army of Occupation, Germany, May 2-September 29, 1945.  Would you be so kind as to share with me ALL THE FACTS typed in Box #32 on page two of your father's Discharge Documents (WD AGO Form 53-55)?
       In your question you typed "I would like to know what division or regiment or battalion that company was in."  So would I.  At this point I have no FACTS to share with you.
       In your question you typed "I'm interested in getting a history of the division for example."  It is unlikely that you would be looking for a divisional history, more likely an Ordnance Battalion history or an Ordnance Group history.
       In your question you typed "I don't think there is a history written on the company level."  May I suggest that you attempt to obtain the unit records, which are located at:

US Army Heritage & Education Center
950 Soldiers Drive
 Carlisle   PA   17013

It has been my experience to find in a unit's records an unofficial unit history, compiled by a member of the unit AFTER V-E Day, but prior to the unit being de-activated.  Whomever you deal with when you make the unit records request, I suggest that you inform them that if an un-official unit history was ever compiled, that would suffice for your needs.  Just a suggestion.
       Would you be so kind as to provide me with ALL THE DATES typed in Box #36 on page two of your father's Discharge Documents (WD AGO Form 53-55)?
       Good Luck with your quest.

Respectfully,
   Richard V. Horrell
    WW 2 Connections

Military History

Richard V. Horrell