Military History/My Father's WW 2 service - Troop Crossing

Question
Mr. Horrell, I sincerely hope you can help answer the following question for me or if unable to answer it, can direct me to the appropriate source for an answer.

My Dad  (Andy B Lynn from Loudon County, Tennessee) served in WW2 in the battles and campaigns of Normandy, Northern France, Rhineland and Central Europe. When he was discharged from the Army he was in Co B 877 A/B Engr Av Bn. I recall when I was younger that he mentioned during the war his unit was assigned to a different Section or army  for ex. 2, army, 3rd Army (I'm unsure). I believe he noted that at one time during the war his unit was attached to General Patton's 3rd Army. I am curious as to how I can gain more information regarding his service beyond his discharge papers which I have a copy. Secondly can you tell me which troop ship my father traveled to Europe on .....his departure date was May 10, 1943 arriving in Europe May 18, 1943. I believe I am correct that the troop ship he was on left out of New York.

Thanks in advance for your assistance.

Respectively,
David Lynn

Answer
Dear Mr. Lynn,
       Thank you for your question.  Also, THANK YOU for referring to me as "Mr. Horrell".  Good manners NEVER go out-of-style.
       Mr. Lynn, have you ever had the opportunity to, as they say, look for a needle in a haystack?  I looked for a needle in a haystack yesterday, & I FOUND THE NEEDLE!!!  16 million men & women served in the US Military during WW 2, & I was looking for one name only, your father's.  I found his name on the list of the unit he served with prior to May 8, 1945!  MERRY CHRISTMAS!!!
       In your question you typed "can you tell me which.......on left out of New York."

Departure Date:   May 10, 1943
Departure Location:   New York Port of Embarkation
Troop Ship:   RMS Aquitania
Units Onboard:   840th Engineer Aviation Battalion
         850th Engineer Aviation Battalion
Arrival Date:   May 18, 1943
Arrival Location:   Gourock, Scotland
    6,370 Troops onboard

In your question you typed that your father participated in the following Campaigns:

Normandy          June 6-July 24, 1944
Northern France   July 25-September 14, 1944
Rhineland         September 15, 1944-March 21, 1945
Central Europe    March 22-May 8, 1945

So did the 840th Engineer Aviation Battalion as well as the 850th Engineer Aviation Battalion.  Since your father was onboard the RMS Aquitania on the same voyage as the 840th & 850th, & that your father participated in the same Campaigns as the 840th & 840th, why not research to see if your father was assigned [assigned] to either the 840th or the 850th.
       One of the finest repository I know of (online also) for unit histories of US Army & US AAF units during WW 2 is the Bangor, Maine Public Library.  I went to

http://digicom.bpl.lib.me.us/

then did a search for the 840th Engineer Aviation Battalion (840th comes before 850th).  Within the unit history of the 840th Engineer Aviation Battalion there is a list of those men assigned [assigned] to the unit.  Your father's name is listed, along with where he was from, Philadelphia, Tennessee, which is located in "Loudon County, Tennessee"!!!
       In your question you typed "I am curious as to how I can gain more information regarding his service".  You have his unit history, ready for you to read at your leisure.
       In your question you typed "When he was discharged from the Army he was in Co B 877 A/B Engr Av Bn."  The following FACTS may be of interest to you:

Departure Date:   September 26, 1945
Departure Location:   Le Havre, France
Troop Ship:   USS General W.P. Richardson  AP-118
Units Onboard:   876th Airborne Engineer Aviation Battalion
         877th Airborne Engineer Aviation Battalion
         878th Airborne Engineer Aviation Battalion
Arrival Date:   October 3, 1945
Arrival Location:   Boston Port of Embarkation

May your family & you enjoy a safe & joyous Holiday Season.

Happy Holidays,
   Richard V. Horrell
    WW 2 Connections  

Military History

Richard V. Horrell