Military History/Help identify ww1 uniform

Question
Full uniform
Full uniform  

Helmet
Helmet  
Good evening! I was recently given an old military uniform. From what little I was told its from WW1, all original and the owner of it passed away about 10+ years ago.  I'm having trouble finding any similar uniforms, especially the plaid pants! Any and all help would be much appreciated!

Answer
Dear Michelline,
         First, let me apologize for not getting back to you sooner but I've been away on an extended trip overseas. Here are the answers to your questions:

This is an officer's tunic uniform with a Sam Browne Belt. The trousers are called Trews or Truis which is the traditional form of Tartan trousers and are taken from Scottish apparel. The tartan plaid is listed on a list of tartans which in this case are the colors of the regiment. The boots are called trench boots while the helmet is called the Brodie helmet. The white garment is called a greyback and is a collarless shirt worn under the blouse. The cap is the Field Service Cap. I hope this helps and May God Bless in the New Year of 2016-Colonel Robert A. Lynn, Florida Guard  

Military History

LTC Robert A. Lynn, Florida Guard