Military History/Looking for a John C. Gilmour of the 771st Tank Destroyer Battalion

Question
I was wondering if you have any info on a John C. Gilmour of the 771st Tank Destroyer Battalion. I believe he was in H/S Company S4 and was an instructor from what info I could find. I also found that he may have been a POW for 4 days and was able to escape back to his unit. I was wondering if he is on any roster to confirm this? and also his rank? I found his grave marker and it shows he was a PFC, but his uniform has SSGT chevrons, any chance he held a SSGT status during the war and when he returned he went back to PFC? Thank
Joel

Answer
Dear Sir,
       Thank you for your question.  In it you typed "I was wondering if you have any info on a John C. Gilmour".  Respectfully, 16 million men & women served in the US Military during WW 2.  Therefore, without FACTS to begin ACCURATE historic research, looking for "info" about one person in 16 million people is somewhat a needle in a haystack.  The best source for FACTS to begin ACCURATE historic research are the Veteran's Discharge Documents (WD AGO Form 53-55).  
       In your question you typed "from what info I could find."  What Primary Source Documents did you read to obtain the "info" you now possess?
       In your question you typed "I also found that he may have been a POW for 4 days and was able to escape back to his unit."  Again, what Primary Source Documents did you read to obtain the "info" you now possess?
       In your question you typed "I was wondering if he is on any roster to confirm this?"  Yes, the roster of the unit he was assigned [assigned] to prior to May 8, 1945.
       In your question you typed "his rank?".  Please refer to Box #3 & Box #38 on page two of the Veteran's Discharge Documents (WD AGO Form 53-55).
       In your question you typed "I found his grave marker and it shows he was a PFC".  What source for FACTS did the stone cutter possess when he cut into the Grave Marker the rank of PFC?
       You are welcome to photocopy the four page Discharge Documents (WD AGO Form 53-55) of the Veteran, then send the photocopies to me via First Class USPS.  Please be sure to include your e-mail address for my ease of response.  It would be my pleasure to share with you all the FACTS I glean from the Veteran's Discharge Documents (WD AGO Form 53-55).
       Good Luck with your quest.

Respectfully,
   Richard V. Horrell
    WW 2 Connections
     2011 Richard Jones Road
      Apt.      E 26
       Nashville   TN   37215-2837

Military History

Richard V. Horrell