Military History/Unit history for 334th Ordnance Battalion

Question
QUESTION: My grandfather served in the 334th Ordnance Battalion, 60th ordnance group, 9th Army in WW2.  His records were burned in the 1973 fire at the national records.  Anyway, I don't know what company he was a part of nor do I have a unit history for this battalion.  what were their movements during the war? Was also curious what shoulder patch they wore, 9th US Army? if any.

Thank you for any assistance.

ANSWER: Dear Sir,
       Thank you for your question.  In it you typed "My grandfather served in the 334th Ordnance Battalion, 60th ordnance group, 9th Army in WW2."  Would you be so kind as to share with me your source that your grandfather was assigned [assigned] to the 334th Ordnance Battalion prior to May 8, 1945?
       The 334th Ordnance Battalion participated on two Campaigns in the E.T.O., 1944-45.  The Campaigns were:

Rhineland          September 15, 1944-March 21, 1945
Central Europe     March 22-May 8, 1945

as well as the Army of Occupation, Germany, May 20-July 5, 1945.
       In your question you typed "His records were burned in the 1973 fire at the national records."  That may be so.  However, the unit records of the 334th Ordnance Battalion were not "burned".
       In your question you typed "I don't know what company he was a part of".  IF your grandfather was assigned [assigned] to the 334th Ordnance Battalion prior to May 8, 1945, he was not assigned [assigned] to a "company".  The 334th Ordnance Battalion had as its component a HQ & HQ Detachment.  These were to oversee the day-to-day operation of the Companies that were assigned [assigned] to the 334th Ordnance Battalion:

117th Ordnance Bomb Disposal Squadron
482nd Ordnance Evacuation Company
485th Ordnance Evacuation Company
911th Ordnance Heavy Automotive Maintenance Company

In your question you typed "do I have a unit history of this battalion."  I could find no record of a unit history of the 334th Ordnance Battalion or the 60th Ordnance Group being published.  However, there are the unit records.
       In your question you typed "what [sic] were their movements during the war?"  Those FACTS I do not have access to for a response such as this.  However, I can provide you with the locations of HQ, Ninth Army.  HQ, 334th Ordnance Battalion would be in a proximity to HQ, Ninth Army.  The following were the locations of HQ, Ninth Army & the dates the HQ became operational at said locations:

Clifton College, Bristol, England          June 29, 1944
St. Sauveur-Lendelin, France          August 29, 1944
Mi-Foret, France          September 3, 1944
Arlon, Belgium          October 2, 1944
Maastricht, Netherlands          October 22, 1944
Munchen-Gladbach, Germany          March 10, 1945
Gutersloh, Germany          April 12, 1945
Braunschweig, Germany          April 23, 1945
Deauville, France          July 8, 1945

In your question you typed "what shoulder patch they wore".  Ninth Army, since the 334th Ordnance Battalion was assigned [assigned] at the Army Level.
       Would you be so kind as to share with me ALL THE DATES typed in Box #36 on page two of your grandfather's Discharge Documents (WD AGO Form 53-55)?
       Good Luck with your quest.

Respectfully,
   Richard V. Horrell
    WW 2 Connections         

QUESTION: This is what I received from the NPRC sent me in 1997 from the Records Reconstruction Branch. His records were destroyed in the July 12, 1973 Fire, two hand written pages seem to have survived.  They copied them and sent them to me, and they regreted that the copies were of poor quality however they are the best available.

1st Page
Designation of Beneficieries
Wife
Mother
Father
WD AGO form 41 forwarded 3/16/44
A of W ?? ready  explained 7 Jul 1944
Atzd EAME Theatre Ribbon {pp 2 G.O. 14 Hq 334th Ord Bn 16 Dec 44
WD identification card issued 12 Dec 44
Serial No. 5826311 per Cir. 83/44 HQ ETO USA
Atzd Good Conduct Ribbon pp 1 G.O. 14 {Hq. 334th Ord Bn 16 Dec 44
WD AGO Form #2P issued 5 Aug 1944
Served in England  fr 18 Oct 44 to 20 Oct 44 incl.
Served in France fr 21 Oct 44 to 3 Dec 44 incl.
Served in Belgium fr 4 Dec 44 to 18 Dec 44 incl.
Served in Holland fr 19 Dec 44 to 16 Mar 45
Served in Germany fr 16 Mar 45 to 23 Jun 45
Dates of Birth of Dependant Children
-----
-----
Eligible for battle participation credit - campaigns
"Rhineland" "Central Europe" Unit not cited at the time of transfer
ASR Card ATCD 30 May 45
showing ASR score 71
Prof.Ser #211131 - 16 May 45 HTL

Served in France 23 Jun 45 to 11 Aug 45
         Atzd one overseas service
         bar per WD Cir 268/44
Insert 8/15/44 - 8/27/44 ????? page 15

Page 2
Qualified as ??????
Course B Score 133

Gas Chamber 27 Jan 1944
TF 8.1538 shown in  lieu of TF 8.1543
Prescription for Glasses
Ft. Leonard Wood, Mo. 20 Jan 44

Qualified as Expert, Carbine Cal 30
Course III, Score 175, 4 Mar 44.
Sex Morality Course Completed Mar  ????
Person to be notified in case of emergency
[wife's contact information]
Chlorine Gas Chamber 28 Apr 44
Smoke & Night Infiltration Course 2 May 44
Completed Malaria Control Course 5 May 44
Transition Firing Completed 9 May 44
Completed Malaria Control Course 27 July 44
Qual Exp, Thompson SMG, Cal 45 M-1, Score 90, 5 Aug 44

Never have been able to locate his Discharge Documents (WD AGO Form 53-55)?

Thank you for any help.

Answer
Dear Sir,
       I acknowledge your follow-up.  In it you typed "I received from the NPRC sent me in 1997 from the Records Reconstruction Branch."  I am disappointed to read that when you questioned me on December 8, 2015 you did not share with me all that you had known for 18 years.  Had you shared with me all that you had known, it would have made my research on your behalf much easier.
       In your follow-up you typed "Atzd EAME Theatre Ribbon {pp 2 G.O. 14 Hq 334th Ord Bn 16 Dec 44".  Is that your source that your grandfather was assigned [assigned] to the 334th Ordnance Battalion?  If so, you may be in error as to the unit your grandfather was assigned [assigned] to.
       In your follow-up you typed "Served in England fr 18 Oct 44 to 20 Oct 44 incl."  IF (yes, IF) October 18, 1944 was the date your grandfather arrived "in England" then the following may be of interest to you:

Departure Date:   October 11, 1944
Departure Location:   Boston Port of Embarkation
Troop Ship:   USS Wakefield  AP-21
Arrival Date:   October 18, 1944
Arrival Location:   Liverpool, England
       6,968 Troops onboard

In your follow-up you typed "Served in France 23 Jun 45 to 11 Aug 45".  IF (yes, IF) August 11, 1945 was the date your grandfather departed "France" then the following may be of interest to you.  Your grandfather would have departed Marseilles, France on August 11, 1945 onboard either the USS General LeRoy Eltinge  AP-154 on the USS General W.P. Richardson  AP-118.

In your follow-up you typed "Never have been able to locate his Discharge Documents (WD AGO Form 53-55)?"  I am very sad to read that.  What you have included in this follow-up are rather like Christmas Tree Ornaments (Holiday Pun intended).  Your grandfather's Discharge Documents (WD AGO Form 53-55) is the Christmas Tree (Holiday Pun intended).  You possess all these wonderful ornaments, but no tree to place them upon.  The ornaments are great, but a tree to hang them upon would make the ??????? all the better.

Richard V. Horrell
   WW 2 Connections  

Military History

Richard V. Horrell