Military History/World war 1 brass shell casing

I have what I believe to be a ww1 brass shell casing. The markings on the base of the case are as follows. AM.LOT 7944,3IN.FG.,LOT 1028 Scovill. It also has a small stamp at 6 o'clock. The primer is stamped US 13 lot 1035. The case is 11inches high and 3 inches across. What makes it more interesting is an engraving on the case which reads, picked up in Argonne Forrest 1918 during world war, by serg't.Tullous, Btry A, 5th F.A.  can you tell me anything about the casing? Thank you for your time.

Well, you have an iron clad provenance for the piece if it is engraved with the finder's name, unit and location he got it.

The numbers indicate the lot number of the cartridge and the primer.  The former would be stamped on the outer part of the base and the latter would be on the inner ring which is the primer.

Scovill is type of shell, which was a schrapnel shell, Model 1907.  It was a 3 inch projectile, hence the 3IN. FG would be Field Gun

Do a search on bing for 3 inch field gun and you will see pictures of the gun and the full cartridge.

The American 3 inch gun was actually 76mm, but they did some tinkering and made it 75 mm and called it the 75mm M1916 so it could use French ammunition as well as US.

The Scovill round had various rings on the projectile that the gunner turned to set the number of seconds after firing the shell would explode sending the shrapnel projectiles out in all directions.

Battery A was actually the 1st Battalion of the 5th Field Artillery and on deployment in France the Regiment was parceled out, one Battalion to each of several divisions.  Battery A or the 1st BN did fight at Meuse Argonne.  According to Wikipedia: "The song that was the 1st Battalion, 5th Field Artillery's regimental march later became the Artillery and then the Army Song. The battalion was assigned to the 1st Infantry Division and sent to France in 1917."

Its also known as the Caisson's go Rolling Along...over hill over dale we will hit the dusty the caissons go rolling along.  In and out, hear them shout, counter march and right about, and the caissons(those were the ammunition wagons) go rolling along..and its Hi Hi Hee in the field artillery, shout out your numbers loud and strong, for where ere you go, you will always know that the caisson's go rolling along.  There are two more verses.

Military History

Keith H. Patton

I can answer questions pertaining to weapons and tactics, personalities, battles, and strategies in european and U.S. history.

I was a history major, and had done extensive research in the subject area. I have designed and tested numerous computer games for various
historical periods.

B.A History M.S. Science
I have had the opportunity to live abroad and walk numerous battlefields both in the United States, Europe, and the Pacific.