Military History/106th Anti-Aircraft Artillery Automatic Weapons Battalion, Kentucky National Guard

Good afternoon, Sir...Sometime ago, I contacted you in re: my father's unit..the 106th Antiaircraft Artillery Bn.  Dad's name was Carl C Hensley and I sent you a copy of his discharge records.  You were kind enough to answer my questions at that time fully and satisfactorily.  Since that time, I have continued to research this unit and have been able to drill down to where the 106th was during a number of campaigns.  However, I have not been able to locate the 106th during the Sicily invasion; that is, to what unit were they attached?  When and where did they land, what routes did they take from the South, where were they when Messina was captured?  I would appreciate any help you could give me as this phase of the 106th's actions are, so far, impossible for me to ferret out.  In advance, thank you for your service to all of us who call on your expertise and willingness to assist.

Dear Ms.,
       Thank you for your question.  In it you typed "to what unit were they attached?"  Just so my answer is clear, my response is to "attached" nor assigned [assigned].  1st Infantry Division, 2nd Armored Division.
       In your question you typed "When and where did they land"?  From LCTs prior to 11 am, Saturday, July 10, 1943.  RED Beach, as near to Gela, Sicily as any amphibious assault can be made to a port community.
       In your question you typed "what routes did they take from the South"?  Via Porto Empedocle, Ribera, Sciacca, Menfi & Palermo.  
       In your question you typed "where were they when Messina was captured?"  Near Palermo.
       Good Luck with your quest.

Richard V. Horrell
    WW 2 Connections  

Military History

Richard V. Horrell

Can answer: World War Two. Specifically, the troop transport ships that took US Military Personnel overseas & returned them to the US, 1941-47. Also, unit history of US Army QM, Signal, MP, Ordnance, Medical, Transportation & Engineer units that served during WW 2. The more obscure units are my specialty. If you have the APO that a Veteran sent letters from or received letters at, I can look up the history of that APO.

A lifelong study of WW 2, including participation as a WW 2 Re-enactor, 1980-2002. Also, interviewing over 400 WW 2 Veterans about their role in WW 2.

AASLH, Middle Tennessee Genealogical Society

Over 800 Profiles that I have written for client's about their loved one's role in WW 2.

BA, History & Political Science (19th & 20th Century European History) Webster University, Webster Groves, MO.

Assisting the National Archives on numerous occasions during the 50th Anniversary Commemoration of WW 2, 1991-95.

Respectfully, I do not disclose the names of the clients I deal with. I have a confidentially agreement with them.