Military History/71st Infantry, Co. G

Question
Hello,

My grandfather, was Squad Leader 653 who served in European Theater, 71st Infantry, Company G during WWII.   I was told he was wounded on two occasions, the last being when a jeep he was in hit a mine and everyone but him died.  Now, he is no longer with us, so for his grandchildren and great-grandchildren could you please add some history to the notations and abbreviations as listed on his discharge papers:

Received One Bronze Service Star Purple Heart (followed by what looks like GO1) Hq 36 GH 45,
Battles and Campaigns:  Northern France C 46 WD 45
EAME Theater Ribbon
Wound received in action EAME Theatre December 13, 1944
Inducted on April 14, 1942;
Departed US for EAME on 5 Sep 44 and arrived 13 Sep 44
Departure for US Not Available and Arrived 9 Oct 45
Discharged on October 17, 1945.
Reason for Separation:  Conv. Of Govít. WD Cir 269 (45) AR 615-365    15 Dec 44

I thank you for the wonderful service you are offering.

Answer
Dear Ms.,
       Thank you for your question.  In it you typed "European Theater, 71st Infantry, Company G during WWII."  Would you be so kind as to indicate to me where on page two of your grandfather's Discharge Documents (WD AGO Form 53-55) the term 71st Infantry" appears?  The "71st Infantry" Regiment, New York National Guard, was assigned [assigned] to the 44th Infantry Division, New York & New Jersey National Guard, during WW 2.
       In your question you typed "I was told he was.......everyone but him died."  What is typed in Box #34 on page two of your grandfather's Discharge Documents (WD AGO Form 53-55)?

"Received One Bronze Service Star"   The "Bronze Service Star" on your grandfather's "EAME Theater Ribbon" indicates his participation in the "Northern France" Campaign, July 25-September 14, 1944

"Purple Heart GO1 Hq 36 GH 45"   Your grandfather was awarded a Purple Heart Medal for being Wounded in Action.  As per General Order #1, Headquarters, 36th General Hospital, circa 1945

"Battles and Campaigns:  Northern France"   Your grandfather participated in the Northern France Campaign.  There were five Campaigns in northwestern Europe, 1944-45; Normandy, Northern France, Rhineland, Ardennes-Alsace & Central Europe.  Your grandfather participated in one of the Campaigns

"EAME Theater Ribbon"   European-African-Middle Eastern Campaign Ribbon.  Indicates the theater your grandfather served in while overseas

"Wound received in action EAME Theatre December 13, 1944"   Indicates the specific date & general location your grandfather was Wounded in Action.  The specific location, Simserhof, France

"Inducted on April 14, 1942;"   I am going to assume (something I am loathed to do) that what you typed was copied from Box #22 on page two of your grandfather's Discharge Documents (WD AGO Form 53-55).  If so, the date of induction (paperwork) may be different that the date of entry (his person) into active service

"Departed US for EAME on 5 Sep 44 and arrived 13 Sep 44"   Your grandfather departed an East Coast Port of Embarkation on September 5, 1944 & arrived at a European Port September 13, 1944.  Sorry, I have no record of said voyage.  Obviously the voyage took place, I just do not have any record of a voyage on those dates

"Departed for US Not Available and Arrived 9 Oct 45"  Your grandfather's voyage home was one of the two I will list here:

Departure Date:   September 28, 1945
Departure Location:   Marseilles, France
Troop Ship:   SS Marine Devil
Arrival Date:   October 9, 1945
Arrival Location:   Hampton Roads, Virginia Port of Embarkation
    via the Straits of Gibraltar

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Departure Date:   October 1, 1945
Departure Location:   Le Havre, France
Troop Ship:   USS LeJeune  AP-74
Arrival Date:   October 9, 1945

"Discharged on October 17, 1945."   Your grandfather was no longer a member of the US Army as of October 17, 1945

"Reason for Separation: Convenience of the US Government   War Department Circular 269 (1945) Army Regulation 615-365   December 15, 1944"   On December 15, 1944 the US Military (government) decided how their Military Personnel would be discharged.  War Department Circular 269 explained the ASR (Adjusted Service Rating) Score, which would determine when the personnel would be discharged.

My only disappointment to all this is that you did not include all the FACTS from your grandfather's Discharge Documents (WD AGO Form 53-55).  With all the FACTS, I could have then provided you with even more FACTS.  You see, I own a copy of the unit history of the 44th Infantry Division, New York & New Jersey Nation Guard.  With your grandfather's name, I could have provided you with soooooooooooooooo many more FACTS.
       Good Luck with your quest.

Respectfully,
   Richard V. Horrell
    WW 2 Connections  

Military History

Richard V. Horrell